Author Topic: Media Box (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee) - Looking for advice  (Read 12944 times)

Offline Gmoney

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 16, 2017, 08:42 am
Media Box (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee) - Looking for advice
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:58 am »
We're considering some cord-cutting and moving over to some variety of media box (Apple TV, Roku, or Boxee are the main contenders, though if there's something I'm not considering, though I'm open to other recommendations).

Unfortunately, none of the options I'm looking at seem to fit everything I'm looking for.  Given that we're heavily into the Cult of Cupertino, airplay would be a very nice feature that the others don't seem to offer.  That said, I'd also really like the option of XBMC or Plex for additional media.  I know 1st and 2nd gen Apple TVs can be jailbroken to install these, but because of that, they tend to sell for more on the open market, despite inferior hardware and output (720p vs. 1080p).  I saw that there's a way to hack a 3rd gen Apple TV to run Plex through the movie preview screens, but do I buy an Apple TV assuming that exploit remains available?

I'm a bit hesitant to go the Boxee route considering it was bought by Samsung, and it looks like they're going to sunset it.  Roku has some nice features, but doesn't support Hulu Plus or Airplay (to my knowledge).

What have your experiences been?  Any recommendations?  Anyone looking to get rid of a 2nd gen Apple TV?
"I am glad that the Robert got shot. Be careful out there!" - Denise

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 31, 2017, 02:57 pm
Re: Media Box (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee) - Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02 am »
You're right... no box does it all.
I loved my ATV and had hacked it to add XBMC and BOXEE, but they've made that really hard now...  it's still do-able thought, so that's an option if you don't mind spending some quality time doing battle with the hack software... there's a package that makes it a little easier called ATV Flash ... look into that. I have an ATV you can play with if you want to see if you can get that to work.

I love my ROKU, and I'm getting ready to do some configs on that to make it read my local media...
You could build a media server in Linux and do it all that way...  :)

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:06 am »
Roku has some nice features, but doesn't support Hulu Plus or Airplay (to my knowledge).

I believe the Roku does support Hulu Plus... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtGqo68N5yYCdGpZMW9qNldWTVJmZGdqcER5UGJCU2c&authkey=CMWSqM8P&hl=en&authkey=CMWSqM8P#gid=0

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:06 am »
Roku has some nice features, but doesn't support Hulu Plus or Airplay (to my knowledge).

I believe the Roku does support Hulu Plus... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtGqo68N5yYCdGpZMW9qNldWTVJmZGdqcER5UGJCU2c&authkey=CMWSqM8P&hl=en&authkey=CMWSqM8P#gid=0

Yes, it definitely does.
"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
    January 09, 2018, 11:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15 am »
I'm not a techie, so half of the acronyms on your list mean nothing to me :) . . . but we have a Roku and I love it. We got rid of cable/TV/Satellite a long time ago and haven't really looked back. We added an antenna and get most local channels when the weather is decent.

One cool thing we love is the TED Talks channel on the Roku.

Offline Gmoney

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 16, 2017, 08:42 am
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:16 am »

Yes, it definitely does.
I might have been thinking boxee, then, or reading an older article about the various options.
"I am glad that the Robert got shot. Be careful out there!" - Denise

Offline Dave2PVD

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23 am »
I've a brand new-in-box Roku 3 that I don't need. Bought it because our Blu-ray player seemed unable to connect to the internet anymore. Well, a software reload fixed that.

So, if someone needs a Roku 3, let me know. Retail is $100. Will sell for $85.

Offline Fawkes

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:29 am »
I've a brand new-in-box Roku 3 that I don't need. Bought it because our Blu-ray player seemed unable to connect to the internet anymore. Well, a software reload fixed that.

So, if someone needs a Roku 3, let me know. Retail is $100. Will sell for $85.
^^^ Good deal

Offline Mangle

• Human
  • Last Login:
    July 15, 2017, 02:03 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 10:38 am »
If you have Amazon Prime, the Roku also has access to their free library of movies and TV shows (also easy to rent or buy shows and movies, and cheaper than iTunes). Between Amazon and Netflix, we use our Roku boxes A LOT.

We also have an Apple TV that's several years old, which comes in handy for TV series from iTunes or the occasional rental ... but we definitely use the Roku more.

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:41 am »
We love our Rokus...we have a first gen model that still serves us well, and a later gen that has a newer interface.   I can't say I like the remotes for them...a bit clunky and annoying to navigate the menus.

Even with Netflix and Amazon Prime (we only had Hulu+ for a month...having to still watch commercials even though we were paying for the service just annoyed us too much), there are still those shows or movies we wish we could find.  I don't think there is a perfect choice, really.

Offline dsnation

• Human
  • Last Login:
    October 31, 2016, 12:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45 am »
We cut the cord a couple of years ago and use an old Roku for Netflix & Amazon Prime and an XBMC box (XBMCbuntu) for other media and Hulu (not Hulu Plus, just regular Hulu).  I think the newer Roku could probably fit all of your needs, though.  They support Plex for additional media (I think you can pretty easily stream from a NAS or server without much setup).  And they've got HuluPlus, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and even Aereo built in. 

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 11:11 am »
Love our Rokus and they are by far the primary boxes over our Apple TV and connected TV, etc. Great machines. And Plex for serving local media is great and integrates flawlessly with Roku.
<sig>

Offline Beer Snob

• EVA's official bad spellor
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • beer, the oldest of the inebriators.
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 07:24 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 12:02 pm »
Our Roku 3 has done us well, other than the remote loosing link to the box.  Bit of a pain in the ass to relink do to where it is mounted, but other than that it has been great.
Taters

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 01:29 pm »
Our Roku 3 has done us well, other than the remote loosing link to the box.  Bit of a pain in the ass to relink do to where it is mounted, but other than that it has been great.

We've never had our remote drop like that, on either unit.  Are you using a smartphone app as a remote?  :(~

Offline Beer Snob

• EVA's official bad spellor
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • beer, the oldest of the inebriators.
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 07:24 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:39 pm »
no on the smart phone app.
it relinks with out a problem but it does happen more often that is should.  it is the tv in the bedroom that may go a week with out being used.
Taters