Author Topic: Media Box (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee) - Looking for advice  (Read 12944 times)

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
Re: Media Box (Apple TV, Roku, Boxee) - Looking for advice
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2014, 02:08 pm »
There a use case that makes this worthwhile if I already have a roku3 stuck in each tv?

Travel?

Yeah, that's all I come up with myself.

I think if I had a Roku 3 on our tv instead of a first-gen version, I'd probably just leave it alone, too.  Still, though...$19 is itself enough of a deal to consider it even if only for travel.

...well, $39 now.  That much and I'd probably just stick with the Chromecast I already have.

At $20, it's hard to come up with reasons not to buy it.
<sig>

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:00 am
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2014, 02:15 pm »
There a use case that makes this worthwhile if I already have a roku3 stuck in each tv?

Travel?

I think if I had a Roku 3 on our tv instead of a first-gen version, I'd probably just leave it alone, too.  Still, though...$19 is itself enough of a deal to consider it even if only for travel.

...well, $39 now.  That much and I'd probably just stick with the Chromecast I already have.

"I already have something that does just about everything it does and I don't travel."
Those two worked well for me.  ;)
If I were still traveling for work, it'd be a no-brainer though.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2014, 02:22 pm »

Travel?

"I already have something that does just about everything it does and I don't travel."
Those two worked well for me.  ;)
If I were still traveling for work, it'd be a no-brainer though.

"I already have several things that do just about everything it does and I have several more at the one place I travel often."

Didn't work well for me.

"$20" won.

But media and technology are things I'm big into. I really don't use my Chromecast much, but it's cool and I like having it. To be able to pick up innovative little devices for so cheap is just fun to me.
<sig>

Offline gp4

• Human
  • Last Login:
    February 01, 2018, 12:16 pm
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2014, 02:23 pm »
I have a chromecast on both of my tvs and use them regularly.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2014, 02:28 pm »
I have a chromecast on both of my tvs and use them regularly.

Very cool little dongle. But as with others, I was already set up in the Roku world before it came out, so it has a hard time gaining traction on our TV. It was, though, the first device in a (relatively) long time that took me by surprise and really left me impressed with how Google moved the game forward.
<sig>

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2014, 07:40 pm »
My Fire TV Stick arrived tonight at aroun 7:30 via some weird courier ("LaserShip"?).  I could've waited...not sure why they felt the need to get it to me ON the 19th.

Can't really play around with it until tomorrow anyway.  If anyone else got theirs tonight, I'll be interested to hear about it.

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2015, 09:30 am »
Not available on the set-top or plug-in units, but Amazon Prime users can now download movies to watch offline:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/01/amazon-prime-instant-video-offline/

If you're signed up to Prime Video, or have an active Amazon Prime account, you can now download and watch titles covered by your monthly subscription. It's supported in both the iOS and Android app -- although the latter will require you to download the app through the Amazon Appstore. The regular Amazon app in Google Play, which also supports Prime Video, doesn't seem to have the feature just yet. Regardless, offline playback is a massive addition...

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2016, 10:58 am »
Roku Secret Menus

Get ready, we’re about to void your warranty.