Author Topic: Amazon Prime Air  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
Re: Amazon Prime Air
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 08:10 pm »
http://www.wired.com/business/2013/12/amazon-drone/

Drones for Amazon, at least today, aren’t about owning the future. They’re about owning the Cyber Monday news cycle, a goal they’ve achieved with great success thanks to 60 Minutes’ uncritical help.

But as a company never satisfied with merely winning, Amazon has successfully obliterated any publicity its competition might otherwise hope to receive. Is anyone talking about Walmart, Target, or Costco today? For the price of a single gee-whiz 80-second marketing video — parts of which Amazon managed to air on CBS in the 60 Minutes piece without having to pay a dime in ad dollars — Amazon ensured that the only retailer anyone is talking about on Cyber Monday is Amazon.
<sig>

Offline mellamur

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 19, 2017, 01:51 pm
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 08:12 pm »

Drones for Amazon, at least today, aren’t about owning the future. They’re about owning the Cyber Monday news cycle, a goal they’ve achieved with great success thanks to 60 Minutes’ uncritical help.

But as a company never satisfied with merely winning, Amazon has successfully obliterated any publicity its competition might otherwise hope to receive. Is anyone talking about Walmart, Target, or Costco today? For the price of a single gee-whiz 80-second marketing video — parts of which Amazon managed to air on CBS in the 60 Minutes piece without having to pay a dime in ad dollars — Amazon ensured that the only retailer anyone is talking about on Cyber Monday is Amazon.
That's great. I hope all the Buzz-bots are clicking that Amazon link above and buying from said retailer. ka-ching.

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 08:32 am
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 08:15 pm »

Perhaps I don't know much about the fascinating world of marketing, but I don't see how it really grows their business TODAY.  Maybe it was all about the bump they may have received in their share value?  No...they actually took a buck and change hit today.  Seriously...publicity is one thing.  Dollars spent is another.  How many folks really went shopping over on Amazon because of this where they otherwise wouldn't have?  I'm not saying it didn't happen.  I'm just doubting the impact implied by that quote.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 08:17 pm »

That's great. I hope all the Buzz-bots are clicking that Amazon link above and buying from said retailer. ka-ching.

I hope so, too. Did you know that when you buy through the Buzz link your order will be delivered by a team of specially-trained bumblebees? It's worth shopping just for that!
<sig>

Offline mellamur

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33 pm »

I hope so, too. Did you know that when you buy through the Buzz link your order will be delivered by a team of specially-trained bumblebees? It's worth shopping just for that!
If that were true I'd have a pile of honey on the front porch.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 08:41 pm »

I'm afraid your bee knowledge is lacking.
<sig>

Offline mellamur

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47 pm »

I'm afraid your bee knowledge is lacking.
Drones...bees...honey...my knowledge is ridiculous.  :P

Offline barbecuesteve

• a well-informed, well-armed bear.
  • Human
  • Support your local cue & brew
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:47 am
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 05:45 am »
Yeah, I feel like the whole thing has this "April Fools" air to it. There's the technology, which while it's not impossible to do, doesn't seem like it's possible to do cheaply. Then there's the legal landscape, which while none of this crap is currently forbidden, in five years some of it will be.

And if it's legal, then there's a further problem of shared airspace -- what about other flying objects in the airspace? What about hostile flying objects in the airspace?

I wouldn't say my bullshit detector is going off, but it's definitely tingling.
Next time you drink a homebrew, thank Jimmy Carter, who on October 14, 1978 signed H.R.1337 legalizing homebrewing in the United States.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28 am »
Yeah, I feel like the whole thing has this "April Fools" air to it. There's the technology, which while it's not impossible to do, doesn't seem like it's possible to do cheaply. Then there's the legal landscape, which while none of this crap is currently forbidden, in five years some of it will be.

And if it's legal, then there's a further problem of shared airspace -- what about other flying objects in the airspace? What about hostile flying objects in the airspace?

It fails just about every smell test you can put it to. Just the idea that Bezos would disclose this vital competitive advantage (complete with great Amazon Prime branding!) and Amazon would produce a slick promotional video 5+ years before it's going to be ready is laughable. I noticed he didn't welcome Charlie Rose into the Kindle R&D lab and show him the 2015 prototypes. Whatever the next thing is Amazon rolls out - that wasn't talked about on 60 Minutes.

It was obvious what was going on when the segment aired. Afterward, the stories on tech blogs started flowing in to my feeds and that was expected. That it cycled all the way through the media up to an including being featured on CNN was surprising. Home run promotion for Amazon (happily tagged along by CBS News). I'm sure when Amazon announces it's canceling the Air program (I'd guess it'll have to do with FAA regulations) they'll couple that with an announcement of an actual solution they're rolling out for same-day delivery. That way CNN might feature them again.
<sig>

Offline Andreas

• Thread Killer
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Sing while you may.
  • Last Login:
    Today at 02:14 am
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 09:00 am »

It fails just about every smell test you can put it to. Just the idea that Bezos would disclose this vital competitive advantage (complete with great Amazon Prime branding!) and Amazon would produce a slick promotional video 5+ years before it's going to be ready is laughable. I noticed he didn't welcome Charlie Rose into the Kindle R&D lab and show him the 2015 prototypes. Whatever the next thing is Amazon rolls out - that wasn't talked about on 60 Minutes.

It was obvious what was going on when the segment aired. Afterward, the stories on tech blogs started flowing in to my feeds and that was expected. That it cycled all the way through the media up to an including being featured on CNN was surprising. Home run promotion for Amazon (happily tagged along by CBS News). I'm sure when Amazon announces it's canceling the Air program (I'd guess it'll have to do with FAA regulations) they'll couple that with an announcement of an actual solution they're rolling out for same-day delivery. That way CNN might feature them again.

Completely agree with all of the above.  Here's another article which basically states the same:  http://www.businessinsider.com/why-amazon-announced-delivery-drones-2013-12

Offline Nugget1977

• Human
  • Last Login:
    February 21, 2017, 02:09 pm
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29 am »
Well apparently it has enough 'buzz' to get the government involved.  The Senate is going to conduct a hearing based on the announcement.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/12/senate-hearing-to-explore-amazon-delivery-drones.html

I'm glad they don't have anything better to be concerned with... 
Sometimes I wish there really was an all knowing trash-heap.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01 am »
Well apparently it has enough 'buzz' to get the government involved.  The Senate is going to conduct a hearing based on the announcement.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/12/senate-hearing-to-explore-amazon-delivery-drones.html

I'm glad they don't have anything better to be concerned with...

BuzzFeed reported Monday an aide to Sen. Jay Rockefeller -- the chair of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation -- acknowledged plans for the hearing began before Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos announced plans for drone delivery.

Rockefeller said Amazon's plan is "just one example of the potential this technology offers consumers."

But it plays better and gets you more shares and page views when you tie it back to the Amazon story.

Not at all surprising that Congress (especially a committee on "Commerce", "Science" and "Transportation") would hold hearings on the potential use of private drone aircraft in U.S. air space.
<sig>

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 08:32 am
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 01:46 pm »

Thanks for reposting that.  It would suck having to click back one whole page to find it.

Offline Nate (NFN)

• Ha!
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I am user number 69 on the Buzz.
    • Just my pictures
  • Last Login:
    January 21, 2018, 10:34 am
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 02:05 pm »
from the twitters with the quote "I missed an Amazon drone delivery."

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 01:17 am
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 02:10 pm »
Thanks for reposting that.  It would suck having to click back one whole page to find it.

It wasn't there last time I looked at page 1. Oh well.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.