Author Topic: Amazon Prime Air  (Read 4667 times)

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:53 pm
Re: Amazon Prime Air
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13 pm »
A company in Australia is scheduled to use drones: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/tech/innovation/zookal-will-deliver-textbooks-using-drones/
Why don't you naysayers want me to see some "Jetsons" technology really happen before I die?
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19 pm »
On the safety aspect, seems like Amazon ought to team up with the makers of those air pouches they use in packaging to create some sort of disposable/recyclable air bag packaging so the drone wouldn't even have to land.  It could just drop it from like 10 or 15 feet.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 02:51 pm »
A company in Australia is scheduled to use drones: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/tech/innovation/zookal-will-deliver-textbooks-using-drones/
Why don't you naysayers want me to see some "Jetsons" technology really happen before I die?

"Scheduled"? Let's see if they are actually doing this by March as alleged.
<sig>

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:53 pm
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36 pm »

"Scheduled"? Let's see if they are actually doing this by March as alleged.
I like the part in the other CNN story that talks about the drones becoming targets. What could be more fun than stealing a package off a porch? Shooting it out of the air!
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 09:51 am »
Amazon offers one-hour deliveries with Prime Now

Amazon has just launched a new service called Prime Now, which will let Prime members order "tens of thousands" of "daily essentials" for immediate delivery. Once you download the new app (on Android or iOS), you'll get the option of picking a one- or two-hour delivery between 6AM and midnight, with Uber-like tracking included. The fastest option will run $7.99 per order and two-hour deliveries are free for Prime members. The service looks like a response to Google's same-day Shopping Express launched last year, which offers same day (but not one-hour) delivery at $5 a pop, or $99 a year. Prime Now will operate exclusively in Manhattan to start, but Amazon has promised that it'll soon be coming "to a city near you."

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55 am »
Interesting. For me, Amazon Prime is currently pointless because I pick free super-saver shipping and get my stuff the next day anyway, but two-hour delivery might make it worth it.