Author Topic: Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?  (Read 19852 times)

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:33 pm »
Exploring new cities for Google Fiber

We've long believed that the Internet’s next chapter will be built on gigabit speeds, so it’s fantastic to see this momentum. And now that we’ve learned a lot from our Google Fiber projects in Kansas City, Austin and Provo, we want to help build more ultra-fast networks. So we’ve invited cities in nine metro areas around the U.S.—34 cities altogether—to work with us to explore what it would take to bring them Google Fiber.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
Google Fiber expansion and Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 01:35 pm »
A friend posted on Facebook that Google is looking at Portland, Oregon as an expansion city, and the linked article said Google has released some more expansion plans.

So ... over to Google Fiber and what do I see?

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Why it's Atlanta listed as a "potential" Google Fiber city. It lists a bunch of suburbs nearby, so I'm not quite sure if that means Atlanta plus those places (I'd like to think so), or those places as "Atlanta" (meaning not actually in the city but just in the listed places).

In any case - at least a small yay is in order I suppose. Anybody know anything more about what's been floated or discussed here?
<sig>

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
Re: Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:42 pm »
Great minds think alike. Posts merged.
<sig>

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
    August 18, 2017, 10:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:58 pm »
This makes me so happy!

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:04 pm »
This makes me so happy!

Well...don't celebrate just yet.  Given the current state of our infrastructure and the level of bureaucracy with all the CoA and metro gov'ts...it's by no means a sure thing.

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:16 pm »
This makes me so happy!

Well...don't celebrate just yet.  Given the current state of our infrastructure and the level of bureaucracy with all the CoA and metro gov'ts...it's by no means a sure thing.

Oh I agree. They say these cities are just a possibility, but I will be there pushing for it the whole way.

Offline mongo

• GLG20
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • GLG20
  • Last Login:
    April 16, 2018, 03:59 pm
Google Fiber may be coming to Atlanta soon
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:19 pm »
If you hate Comcast and AT&T like I do, then please write Natalyn Archibong and Mayor Reed expressing your support for Google Fiber and specifically requesting that they take whatever steps are necessary to bring it to the City of Atlanta and our neighborhood.

"Oh. Uh, will you hold my wallet for me while I take the test, please? There's a thousand dollars in there... or maybe there isn't. Know what I mean?"
--Emmett Fitz-Hume

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:03 am
Re: Google Fiber may be coming to Atlanta soon
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:35 pm »
If you hate Comcast and AT&T like I do, then please write Natalyn Archibong and Mayor Reed expressing your support for Google Fiber and specifically requesting that they take whatever steps are necessary to bring it to the City of Atlanta and our neighborhood.

Wonder if this is the first three-thread merger in buzz history.

http://www.eavbuzz.net/forum/technology/google-fiber-finally-coming-to-atl/?topicseen
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice

Offline mongo

• GLG20
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • GLG20
  • Last Login:
    April 16, 2018, 03:59 pm
Re: Google Fiber may be coming to Atlanta soon
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:38 pm »
Whoops, sorry.  I don't usually read the technology thread... In any event, man I hope they bring this to East Atlanta.

Wonder if this is the first three-thread merger in buzz history.

http://www.eavbuzz.net/forum/technology/google-fiber-finally-coming-to-atl/?topicseen
"Oh. Uh, will you hold my wallet for me while I take the test, please? There's a thousand dollars in there... or maybe there isn't. Know what I mean?"
--Emmett Fitz-Hume

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:44 pm »
Three Buzz threads should be enough evidence of demand to get the project going ...

And as little faith as I have in our city's "leaders" to do anything, I'd agree that letters of encouragement to our elected leaders is a good idea.

How much does Comcast pay the city for their franchise?
<sig>

Offline Mangle

• Human
  • Last Login:
    July 15, 2017, 02:03 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:22 pm »
FINGERS CROSSED!! It would be so nice to have more choices ... considering our shady house can't get satellite and we don't have AT&T Uverse yet.

http://www.myajc.com/news/technology/google-eyes-atlanta-for-super-fast-internet/ndTPS/

The AJC subscriber site has a story up, here are some highlights:

"... In addition to Atlanta, local cities under consideration are Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Sandy Springs and Smyrna. Across the county, Google is looking at a mix of major cities such as Phoenix and Portland and smaller communities such as Chapel Hill, NC, and Palo Alto, Calif.

Over the next several months, a team of Google engineers will visit here, seeking to define the complexity of installing a fiber optic network underneath the streets and on utility poles in the various cities."

" ... City officials will have until the beginning of May to provide Google with detailed maps of their infrastructure, as well as proposals for a process to let Google apply for hundreds of construction permits at once. Officials got a heads-up last week, according to a Google spokeswoman.

Google insists it’s not looking for tax breaks or other financial incentives, and that the cities are not in competition with one another."

Offline James

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 22, 2017, 07:35 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:25 pm »

" ... City officials will have until the beginning of May to provide Google with detailed maps of their infrastructure, as well as proposals for a process to let Google apply for hundreds of construction permits at once.

So then we're not getting it in CoA.  :([

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 03:37 pm »
Three Buzz threads should be enough evidence of demand to get the project going ...

And as little faith as I have in our city's "leaders" to do anything, I'd agree that letters of encouragement to our elected leaders is a good idea.

How much does Comcast pay the city for their franchise?

I think Comcast funds City Channel 26 and that's about it.

" ... City officials will have until the beginning of May to provide Google with detailed maps of their infrastructure, as well as proposals for a process to let Google apply for hundreds of construction permits at once.

So then we're not getting it in CoA.  :([

The message to Councilmember Archibong and Mayor Reed should not only be "we want Google Fiber" but also "we want the permitting department to stop being fucked up NOW."

Offline Andreas

• Thread Killer
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Sing while you may.
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:57 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12 pm »