Author Topic: Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?  (Read 18863 times)

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
Re: Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 05:37 pm »
Three Buzz threads should be enough evidence of demand to get the project going ...

And as little faith as I have in our city's "leaders" to do anything, I'd agree that letters of encouragement to our elected leaders is a good idea.

How much does Comcast pay the city for their franchise?

I think Comcast funds City Channel 26 and that's about it.

They get what I assume is an exclusive franchise to run coax in the city in exchange for putting up a shitty public access channel? I find that hard to believe, even when you account for the graft that is also likely part of the mix.
<sig>

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 06:03 pm »
Three Buzz threads should be enough evidence of demand to get the project going ...

And as little faith as I have in our city's "leaders" to do anything, I'd agree that letters of encouragement to our elected leaders is a good idea.

They get what I assume is an exclusive franchise to run coax in the city in exchange for putting up a shitty public access channel? I find that hard to believe, even when you account for the graft that is also likely part of the mix.

Well, of course I was exaggerating... but not by all that much. Here's the agreement from 1995, which says that Comcast has to serve the whole city (not just the profitable parts), that it has to support Channel 26 and some other public access channels (People TV and stuff), that it has to support a "Municipal Communications Network (M-Net)." In terms of dollars, the City apparently got $1.2 million for construction + $1.3 million for operation for M-Net, $1.95 million + $1.4 million for "equipment and facilities for public access" and $0.5 million/year (indexed for inflation) for People TV, $0.15 million of which can be passed through to subscribers.

Basically, Comcast paid about six million dollars, plus about a buck per resident per year (assuming I'm not misreading the document).

In 2009, the agreement was superseded by state law (see O.C.G.A. 36-76-3). I don't know what that agreement says, but it's likely to be even more favorable to Comcast than Atlanta's agreement was.

Offline Folsom

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 16, 2018, 07:37 pm
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 06:21 pm »
I signed up for alerts from the fiber site.  Hopefully they gauge interest from customers by signups.  That doesn't mean that CoA won't mess it up regardless. 

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 07:14 pm »

Well, of course I was exaggerating... but not by all that much. Here's the agreement from 1995, which says that Comcast has to serve the whole city (not just the profitable parts), that it has to support Channel 26 and some other public access channels (People TV and stuff), that it has to support a "Municipal Communications Network (M-Net)." In terms of dollars, the City apparently got $1.2 million for construction + $1.3 million for operation for M-Net, $1.95 million + $1.4 million for "equipment and facilities for public access" and $0.5 million/year (indexed for inflation) for People TV, $0.15 million of which can be passed through to subscribers.

Basically, Comcast paid about six million dollars, plus about a buck per resident per year (assuming I'm not misreading the document).

In 2009, the agreement was superseded by state law (see O.C.G.A. 36-76-3). I don't know what that agreement says, but it's likely to be even more favorable to Comcast than Atlanta's agreement was.

Thanks, that's helpful. I wonder if Google Fiber qualifies as a "cable" provider that can gain a statewide license.
<sig>

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 07:19 pm »
COA Press Release:
City of Atlanta To Work with Google Fiber To Explore Bringing Residents Ultra-High Speed Internet Access

So a joint press release - obviously Google has already been in talks with the city. I doubt any further encouragement of elected officials is needed if the mayor is out there touting the possibility (he'll look like a loser if Atlanta isn't picked). I guess we should just keep our eyes open for ways citizens can impact the decision - any maybe make a video about how we would use Gigabit and post it to YouTube.
<sig>

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
    August 18, 2017, 10:21 pm
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 07:41 pm »
COA Press Release:
City of Atlanta To Work with Google Fiber To Explore Bringing Residents Ultra-High Speed Internet Access

So a joint press release - obviously Google has already been in talks with the city. I doubt any further encouragement of elected officials is needed if the mayor is out there touting the possibility (he'll look like a loser if Atlanta isn't picked). I guess we should just keep our eyes open for ways citizens can impact the decision - any maybe make a video about how we would use Gigabit and post it to YouTube.

I also signed up for alerts on the site. Since it asks for addresses I assume they are considering interest in each city / neighborhood.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49 pm »
COA Press Release:

I also signed up for alerts on the site. Since it asks for addresses I assume they are considering interest in each city / neighborhood.

Yeah, I did that back when they first solicited requests (you're welcome). I got kicked back an email today asking me to spread the word, I guess to drum up even more support.
<sig>

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13 am »
Saw on The Facebooks that somebody spotted a Google Fiber truck towing an empty wire spool in Grant Park this morning.
<sig>

Offline Mr. Man

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 09:35 am
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 09:43 am »
What exactly is google fiber and why are we so excited?
Yes, I agree, with that I knew someone close that smoked and went to chewing tobacca. Used a spit can which was yuck, and then the door of his car.~Denise

Offline Gmoney

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 16, 2017, 08:42 am
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51 am »
Insanely fast internet (20 times faster than the 50 megabit currently offered by Comcast) provided by a company that is almost certainly going to be a lot easier to work with, and at a price competitive with most current ISPs.
"I am glad that the Robert got shot. Be careful out there!" - Denise

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 09:56 am »
Insanely fast internet (20 times faster than the 50 megabit currently offered by Comcast) provided by a company that is almost certainly going to be a lot easier to work with, and at a price competitive with most current ISPs.

Right - like 20 times as fast as "really good" speeds we get now at basically the same price (about $70 per month).
<sig>

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 08:32 am
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 10:35 am »
I signed up for alerts from the fiber site.  Hopefully they gauge interest from customers by signups.  That doesn't mean that CoA won't mess it up regardless.

Yeah...me too.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05 am »

Or somewhat-fast internet (5 megabits) for $0/month (after a one-time installation fee).

Offline James

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 22, 2017, 07:35 pm
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 11:21 am »
COA Press Release:

I hope they pull it off, but I feel for any poor non-google schmuck trying to get a permit at the same time.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 01:30 pm »
COA Press Release:

I hope they pull it off, but I feel for any poor non-google schmuck trying to get a permit at the same time.

Or anytime, really, unless a high-ranking city official is behind your cause.
<sig>