Author Topic: Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?  (Read 18864 times)

Offline JBB

• historic facial hair
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:37 am
Re: Google Fiber...finally coming to ATL?
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2016, 09:53 am »
Somebody (don't know who) is pulling fiber optic cables on Boulevard in Grant Park lately.

Putting or pulling?
In my limited experience, the installer "pulls" the cable off of the spool and through the conduit.

"I'll try the foot long hot dogs." -Denise

Offline Nate (NFN)

• Ha!
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I am user number 69 on the Buzz.
    • Just my pictures
  • Last Login:
    January 21, 2018, 10:34 am
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50 pm »
Somebody (don't know who) is pulling fiber optic cables on Boulevard in Grant Park lately.

Putting or pulling?
In my limited experience, the installer "pulls" the cable off of the spool and through the conduit.

You pull cable. True.

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 08:32 am
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2016, 08:31 am »
Putting, pulling...who the hell cares?  Just freaking give me my damn fiber already!

Offline Nate (NFN)

• Ha!
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I am user number 69 on the Buzz.
    • Just my pictures
  • Last Login:
    January 21, 2018, 10:34 am
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2016, 09:05 pm »
Putting, pulling...who the hell cares?  Just freaking give me my damn fiber already!

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2016, 11:11 am »
Sign-ups are starting...
https://fiber.google.com/cities/atlanta/

Not in our area yet, though...so don't get too excited.

Offline Bagel Snob

• OMG
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Monkey ass ho
  • Last Login:
    December 15, 2017, 05:43 pm
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2016, 01:28 pm »
Sign-ups are starting...
https://fiber.google.com/cities/atlanta/

Not in our area yet, though...so don't get too excited.

Come on google, take my goddamn money already.
"I've got the boobs. I don't like them."

Offline denise

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 16, 2018, 11:51 am
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2016, 06:44 pm »
Sounds like the end of the year or next Spring? We have been waiting. I wish they come here!

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #232 on: September 02, 2016, 04:53 pm »
AT&T has thrown down the gauntlet to Google Fiber on rolling-out high-speed fiber networks to the US.

A post on AT&T's public policy blog, entitled Broadband Investment: Not for the Faint of Heart, offers an account of Google's networking ambitions since 2007 -- predating the 2010 launch of Google Fiber -- and its failures ever since to deliver them.

According to the post's author, AT&T's VP of federal regulatory Joan Marsh, that's because Google underestimated the challenges of rolling-out fiber and overestimated the promise of alternative wireless technologies.

It follows a report that Google Fiber will halve its headcount and refocus on wireless broadband after failing to secure the five million subscribers it hoped to have attracted within five years.

"Instead of playing by the same rules as everyone else building infrastructure, Google Fiber demands special treatment and indeed in some places is getting it, unfairly," she wrote.

"Yet, Google Fiber still complains it's too hard... and costs too much... and takes too long... even as it's reported that Google Fiber will now try to do all this with half its current workforce," Marsh continued.

"Welcome to the broadband network business, Google Fiber. We'll be watching your next move from our rear view mirror. Oh, and pardon our dust."

Offline T@Nk

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • EAVPoohTank
  • Last Login:
    January 16, 2018, 03:43 pm
« Reply #233 on: September 07, 2016, 12:51 pm »
We'll be watching your next move from our rear view mirror. Oh, and pardon our dust.

:handjob:

The dust accumulates around their slow ass internet connections...
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #234 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09 pm »
We'll be watching your next move from our rear view mirror. Oh, and pardon our dust.

:handjob:

The dust accumulates around their slow ass internet connections...

I did notice they forgot to mention anything about the fact that they wouldn't be improving their own services if not for the threat of Google Fiber.  They - and Comcast - would still be dragging their proverbial feet, offering up 50mbps speeds because nobody else is challenging them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:56 pm by J. Grouchy »

Offline mongo

• GLG20
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • GLG20
  • Last Login:
    January 20, 2018, 01:51 pm
« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54 am »
I hope this does not mean Google will not be fully building out their fiber network in Atlanta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/technology/google-curbs-expansion-of-fiber-optic-network-cutting-jobs.html?_r=0
"Oh. Uh, will you hold my wallet for me while I take the test, please? There's a thousand dollars in there... or maybe there isn't. Know what I mean?"
--Emmett Fitz-Hume

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2016, 12:18 pm »
I hope this does not mean Google will not be fully building out their fiber network in Atlanta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/technology/google-curbs-expansion-of-fiber-optic-network-cutting-jobs.html?_r=0

doesn't sound like it, seems like they're just looking into other ways of providing the service?
but this:
"Because Google runs most of its business on the internet, analysts have suggested that its entry into the costly world of fiber optic internet was an attempt to motivate existing internet providers to accelerate the introduction of faster web connections."

Goal or not, that has worked pretty well. Forced AT&T to up my 'data cap' to 650 from 250. yay competition!

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:51 pm
« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2016, 12:20 pm »

doesn't sound like it, seems like they're just looking into other ways of providing the service?
but this:
"Because Google runs most of its business on the internet, analysts have suggested that its entry into the costly world of fiber optic internet was an attempt to motivate existing internet providers to accelerate the introduction of faster web connections."

Goal or not, that has worked pretty well. Forced AT&T to up my 'data cap' to 650 from 250. yay competition!

It seems like regardless of whether they continue going the fiber route, they are still interested in expanding availability of high speed internet service, just possibly leveraging more cost effective technology to do so.
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 01:17 am
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2016, 10:45 am »
This is a pretty thoughtful article from Ars Technica on the topic.

Op-ed: Salvaging Google Fiber’s achievements
Google Fiber hasn't changed the world—yet.

Benoît Felten - 10/28/2016, 7:30 AM

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/10/op-ed-salvaging-google-fibers-achievements/
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.