Author Topic: new cable modem for comcast  (Read 1573 times)

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:00 am
new cable modem for comcast
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:25 pm »
So, after a note from Comcast telling me I need to upgrade mine, I went and checked and it is a laughably old Motorola SB5120 that is only Docsis 1.1.

Looks like the easy button upgrade is either the

Motorola SurfBoard SB6141
8 channel DOCSIS 3.0
good for download speeds up to 343 Mbps and upload speeds up to 131 Mbps
came out in 2012.
$86.99 at that amazon link.

or

Motorola SurfBoard SB6183
16 channel DOCSIS 3.0
good for download speeds up to 686 Mbps and upload speeds up to 131 Mbps
just came out a couple months ago.
$129.99 at that amazon link

Seems like the SB6141 is the correct answer, based on price and the the virtual certainty that it'll be years and years before we ever see speeds like the SB6183 can handle from Comcast around here, yeah?

thoughts?
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline barbecuesteve

• a well-informed, well-armed bear.
  • Human
  • Support your local cue & brew
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 05:37 pm
Re: new cable modem for comcast
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:28 pm »
I have a 6141. It kicks ass.

Next time you drink a homebrew, thank Jimmy Carter, who on October 14, 1978 signed H.R.1337 legalizing homebrewing in the United States.

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:52 pm »

Oh that's nice.
You paying for an expensively fast tier?

I'm sitting here:

D/L is usually around 20-21. That's about the norm for u/l.
I'm only paying for the basic broadband, no extra speed/tiers.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline barbecuesteve

• a well-informed, well-armed bear.
  • Human
  • Support your local cue & brew
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 05:37 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02 pm »

Oh that's nice.
You paying for an expensively fast tier?

I'm sitting here:

D/L is usually around 20-21. That's about the norm for u/l.
I'm only paying for the basic broadband, no extra speed/tiers.

I got one of the "blast" tiers, yeah. When I signed up it was for something like 32. Then they bumped it to 50. A few months ago I got a "free" bump to 100 when Google announced it was looking.  ::)
Next time you drink a homebrew, thank Jimmy Carter, who on October 14, 1978 signed H.R.1337 legalizing homebrewing in the United States.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42 am »
When Comcast forced me to upgrade, I considered the 6141 and the 6121, but ended up with the Zoom 5341J because its reputation is about as good as the Motorola modems and it was cheapest at the time. I've had zero problems whatsoever with it so far (and I'd guess I've had it for about a year now).

If you're buying on Amazon, I'd currently recommend the Motorola SB6121 because it's the cheapest at the moment.

The more expensive 6141 and 6183 have more channels, but I figure that by the time Comcast decides to increase speeds (on my cheap plan) enough to use them I'd be switching to Google Fiber anyway.

Offline Andreas

• Thread Killer
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Sing while you may.
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:57 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:03 am »
I'm using the 6141 and loving it.

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:13 am »
6141 it is. From newegg, instead of amazon b/c no taxes.

Sidenote:
Comcast has a link on their website about upgrading to a new modem if you have an old, decrepit one. DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK. Fuckers automatically are now sending me a new modem. No confirmation option, no description of what is going on, just a "by clicking that link you will now be receiving a new modem in 2-4 weeks.". And, of course, the guy on the phone at the number they provide for questions can't stop the order. "Just refuse delivery and send it back." So, I am sure I will be having a fun argument with billing in a month or so.  :([

Offline ratpack

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 08, 2018, 01:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 10:18 am »
on comcast with my own. it's the 6120 and i consistently get around 20/6. is this a limitation of the 6120 and the 6121 can handle the higher speeds or will i probably not see a change if i made the switch?
Yoiks! And away! Yoiks... and awa-ayy! Yo-iks... and away...

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31 am »
on comcast with my own. it's the 6120 and i consistently get around 20/6. is this a limitation of the 6120 and the 6121 can handle the higher speeds or will i probably not see a change if i made the switch?

I would guess your speed is a function of your particular speed tier. Looks like the 6120 is an early Docsis 3.0 modem, so if you were to pay for more speed, it should be good for it.

Offline 54 Pontiac

• Human
  • I was smarter than this fish.
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 05:16 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 05:51 pm »
Any advice on used or refurbished modems? Mighty tempting.

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 06:03 pm »
Any advice on used or refurbished modems? Mighty tempting.

I don't see the point. They're not expensive enough to not buy new. And you'll have it for years and it's something you want to just work. ymmv.

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
    January 09, 2018, 11:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:34 am »
So, maybe you all can help me with a problem I'm having. Since I don't work from the house anymore I haven't noticed the problems we're having with our internet until I tried to work from home yesterday. We have Comcast Business Class as a leftover from running a business here.

Problems we're having:
1. Areas of the house are dead zones. We probably need a different router set up. Currently we have an Airport inside the house, and one in the outbuilding.
2. The connection randomly drops out.
3. We don't have cable tv so we use Amazon Prime and Netflix. I think we hit limits sometimes and then everything stops streaming. I have no idea if our tenant is doing any bit torrent.

I'm actually looking for someone who will fix this setup. It may be time to leave Comcast Business and go to something like Xfinity at one of the higher packages.

For what it's worth, here's my test

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 12:06 pm »
So, maybe you all can help me with a problem I'm having. Since I don't work from the house anymore I haven't noticed the problems we're having with our internet until I tried to work from home yesterday. We have Comcast Business Class as a leftover from running a business here.

Problems we're having:
1. Areas of the house are dead zones. We probably need a different router set up. Currently we have an Airport inside the house, and one in the outbuilding.
3. We don't have cable tv so we use Amazon Prime and Netflix. I think we hit limits sometimes and then everything stops streaming. I have no idea if our tenant is doing any bit torrent.

I'm actually looking for someone who will fix this setup. It may be time to leave Comcast Business and go to something like Xfinity at one of the higher packages.

Comcast Business has always seemed like an incredible ripoff. Unless you're paying for the higher tiers and hosting your own crap. And even then...
Are you on Business Starter? If so, you're getting what they advertise. If you're Deluxe 50, I'd be pissed. I am on "Performance" (Xfinity) which is just a step up from beginner and supposed to be up to 20 down and I just tested again at 27 down, 5.75 up, so it's not bad.
As for dead spots, get another router/Access Point and let it serve the dead side of your house.
As for dropped connections... that with the cable modem? Or a router behind it? Bitch to Comcast if it's the modem.

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
    January 09, 2018, 11:30 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 02:02 pm »

Problems we're having:

Comcast Business has always seemed like an incredible ripoff. Unless you're paying for the higher tiers and hosting your own crap. And even then...
Are you on Business Starter? If so, you're getting what they advertise. If you're Deluxe 50, I'd be pissed. I am on "Performance" (Xfinity) which is just a step up from beginner and supposed to be up to 20 down and I just tested again at 27 down, 5.75 up, so it's not bad.
As for dead spots, get another router/Access Point and let it serve the dead side of your house.
As for dropped connections... that with the cable modem? Or a router behind it? Bitch to Comcast if it's the modem.

Yeah, it's Business Starter. We do have one Airport that is supposed to be acting as an access point for the outbuilding, but I don't think I have it configured correctly because it's just not working. We probably need another one upstairs. I was just looking at the Performance/Xfinity. The  modem we are using is the one Comcast supplied us with.