Author Topic: Recs for DSL modem/WIFI that works with ATT  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Beer Snob

• EVA's official bad spellor
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • beer, the oldest of the inebriators.
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
    January 20, 2018, 02:05 pm
Recs for DSL modem/WIFI that works with ATT
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:24 pm »
Ours shit the bed and need a new one asap!
Any rec, a new one from ATT is $100.
Taters

Offline Beer Snob

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
Re: Recs for DSL modem/WIFI that works with ATT
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:29 pm »
was thinking of this

[urlhttp://www.officedepot.com/a/products/901441/Linksys-EA6350-SMART-Wi-Fi-Wireless/][/url]
Taters

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 03:49 pm »
Don't get a DSL modem / Wi-Fi router combination device; get a standalone modem and a separate Wi-Fi router. (Note that the device you linked is not a combination device, by the way.)

Do you have any other 802.11AC devices, and do you do a lot of video streaming or large file transfers between them? If not, then you don't need a Wi-Fi router as fancy as the one you linked. I'd recommend looking for an 802.11N / gigabit ethernet device in the $60-$90 range (edit: or cheaper) instead.

As for the DSL modem, I'd suggest asking around -- maybe somebody switched to cable and has an extra one they don't need anymore. As long as it works, there shouldn't be any real difference between the cheapest DSL modem and the most expensive one. (So if nobody gives one to you, buy the cheapest you can find.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:51 pm by Jack »

Offline Beer Snob

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:02 pm »
Web technology, I'm a bit lost. So pardon my ignorance. I feel like a boob grabbing the wrong device but I guess I can return it. I do have a Cisco device that I got from my old job it is a Cisco wap4410n. Would that be what u are referencing?  Now I need to find a modem.

Anyone keen on giving me a hand setting this up?
Taters

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:39 pm »
OK, let's back up for a second so I can double check what you already had.

If you had setup A, then you need to go buy a DSL modem and keep the Linksys EA6350 or cheaper equivalent. Oh yeah, and you'd also need an ethernet cable to connect the two new boxes.

If you had setup B, and it was the modem that died, you should return the Linksys EA6350 and buy a new DSL modem instead. (And keep using the router you already have)

If you had setup B, and it was the router that died, then the Linksys EA6350 you bought would work fine (although it's overkill and more expensive than necessary).

As for the Cisco wap4410n, it is a Wireless Access Point (see setup C). Its purpose is to extend the range of a wireless LAN, so it's good to add to your existing network if your house is too big for the signal to reach all areas. However, it is not able to function as a router.

(Incidentally, if you don't need that WAP I'd be happy to take it off your hands...  :D)

(Edit: it took a couple of tries to get the image right)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:45 pm by Jack »

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 10, 2018, 10:26 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:42 pm »

If you had setup A, then you need to go buy a DSL modem and keep the Linksys EA6350 or cheaper equivalent. Oh yeah, and you'd also need an ethernet cable to connect the two new boxes.

If you had setup B, and it was the modem that died, you should return the Linksys EA6350 and buy a new DSL modem instead. (And keep using the router you already have)

If you had setup B, and it was the router that died, then the Linksys EA6350 you bought would work fine (although it's overkill and more expensive than necessary).

As for the Cisco wap4410n, it is a Wireless Access Point (see setup C). Its purpose is to extend the range of a wireless LAN, so it's good to add to your existing network if your house is too big for the signal to reach all areas. However, it is not able to function as a router.

(Incidentally, if you don't need that WAP I'd be happy to take it off your hands...  :D)

Put the WAP in your man shed.  heh.
Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline Beer Snob

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:10 pm »
We had set up A. It was a modem router combo that died.
The Lynksys I bought did have a USB port for a HD.
Taters

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:35 pm »
Ok, so you need both a modem and a router, you want USB to connect a hard drive, and I assume, since you didn't say, that you don't actually need the 1Gbps wireless speeds of 802.11ac (300Mbps 802.11n would be more than fast enough).

In that case, I'd suggest getting something like these: modem, router (currently $61.23 + shipping for the pair). Feel free to substitute whatever similar things are cheapest at your vendor of choice.

Offline Beer Snob

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:20 am »

(Edit: it took a couple of tries to get the image right)

Jack
I am going to try and use the WAP, but if I don't your welcome to it.  I would like better coverage at the house.  right now the signal is spotty in the very front, outside, and in the back at the man shed, in the far back yard.  I would love to have the whole yard covered with a signal.
I dont need crazy wireless speed.  Enough to stream movies, we do not game.

Thanks for the help.
Taters

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 09:53 pm »

I am going to try and use the WAP, but if I don't your welcome to it.  I would like better coverage at the house.  right now the signal is spotty in the very front, outside, and in the back at the man shed, in the far back yard.  I would love to have the whole yard covered with a signal.

Ah, in that case you do need the WAP. In order to get signal in the back yard, what you need to do is put your main router closer to the front of your house, then run cable from it all the way to the back of the house, then underground through the yard to the man shed, where you will install the WAP.

You will need the following (links are for illustration purposes; you should shop around):

You'll also need some tools and stuff (e.g. a punch-down tool and a cable tester), but I can help you with that.

Notes:
  • Allow for several feet of slack at each end of the cable, and order it about 15% longer than you think you need (after allowing for said slack). Better to spend a couple of extra bucks than to have a too-short cable!
  • I'm having trouble finding PoE-compatible punch-down surge protectors. Ideally, you'd want something like this, except designed with a punch-down connector. It seems like such a thing doesn't exist, but I don't understand why.
  • This is the kind of thing that you want to do right so that you only have to do it once. Don't cheap out using by using CAT5, CAT5e, or not-direct-bury-rated cable, and terminate it correctly (using a wall outlet) instead of wiring it directly into the back of the routers.
  • This is the worst-case scenario, where you need to install the WAP all the way back at the shed in order to get good enough coverage. If your yard is small enough, you might be able to just put the WAP at the back of the house and avoid running cable outside.

I dont need crazy wireless speed.  Enough to stream movies, we do not game.

Okay, so when you say "stream movies" I guess you mean stuff like Netflix (which should work fine on 802.11N, especially since the limiting factor would normally be your Internet connection) and not streaming Blu-Ray ISOs from one computer to another (which needs so much bandwidth that even 802.11AC might not be sufficient -- that kind of thing might only work on gigabit ethernet).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:57 pm by Jack »