Author Topic: Shelter Cat Needs A Home  (Read 520 times)

Offline MissMass

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 06:21 am
Shelter Cat Needs A Home
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:25 am »
Sadly, after three years of trying to integrate my beautiful Suki into our home we've decided we either need to re-home her or euthanize her. 4-5X/year she has bouts of redirected aggression where she attacks our other pets. We have explored all medical options and have been precariously managing with Felliway, lifestyle modification, kitty prozac and feel that her only chance is to find a new home with no kids and no other pets. While she is always a bit skittish on a daily basis, she can also be very sweet. She loves to sit at my feet and follows me from room to room. She loves to chat and have the last word. I know this is a long shot but she would be terrified in a shelter and I can't see an adoption happening under those circumstances. 

Offline n hen

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 09:37 pm
Re: Shelter Cat Needs A Home
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:30 pm »
Sorry for what you are going thru. And I understand. I don't have a solution but don't put this on Nextdoor.  You will be crucified.
It doesn't take a committee.  It just takes one person.

Offline MissMass

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:49 pm »
too late, already posted but no one has had any interest 

Offline n hen

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 09:37 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:02 pm »
Its a good place to ask for help but there are some people on there that are a little cray cray and judgmental.  and FYI I was just on and didn't see anything.  wasn't necessarily looking but would have noticed
It doesn't take a committee.  It just takes one person.

Offline Mr. Man

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:05 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:45 am »
if you actually like her you could giver her a room that the other pets dont go into. it would be an adjustment to keep a door shut all the time.
Yes, I agree, with that I knew someone close that smoked and went to chewing tobacca. Used a spit can which was yuck, and then the door of his car.~Denise

Offline MissMass

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:27 am »
<3  <3 her and we've worked on separating her but when she's not in a state of anxiety yowls and scratches to join the rest of the family.  I haven't given up trying to find a way to medicate her through her panic attacks but at some point I might have to choose between the cat and my husband.  And the cat might win.

Offline Meredith

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 07:37 am
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 08:47 am »
if you actually like her you could giver her a room that the other pets dont go into. it would be an adjustment to keep a door shut all the time.
We're going through something similar with Snickers and Jade. Snickers terrorizes Jade - chases her, claws her. It's heartbraking. I though Snicks would have calmed down. Jade is now licking herself so much that she throws up hairballs twice a day. We have her on anti-nausea medication. And Feliway isn't helping as it turns out. We just ordered another kitty-litter box and are going to keep them separated during the day (Snickers in my office with the door closed). Not sure what else to do at this point.  :([
First rule: "If you haven't called someone your self or they have notified you then Do not trust them! They are dishonest and a scam!"- Denise

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:09 pm »
I know this borders on crazy cat person decorating , but one way to help this that vets rarely talk about is to give multiple pathways in and out of rooms by height. Think cat shelves on the walls, tunnels, having multiple ways in and out of rooms and around your house with height variation. Most cats get aggressive when they are feeling cornered or threatened, and what looks like lounging to you and me is often blocking another animal's access to food or litterbox. (this is said assuming you have ruled out any medical issue-one of ours was like  that and it was due to dental problems which we didn't know about)
Good luck

Offline MissMass

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 09:47 am »
Someone else mentioned the dental thing so that's next on my list. But we can go for months without an incident and the two weeks of attacking the other cat and sometimes my husband when he intervenes so that seems unlikely.

Offline pencilicon

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • It was like that when I got here.
  • Last Login:
    November 14, 2017, 02:11 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 04:24 pm »
I saw your post and it broke my heart. I'm sorry.