Author Topic: Recommendations for 40th birthday dinner  (Read 2745 times)

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    February 16, 2018, 01:42 pm
Re: Recommendations for 40th birthday dinner
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53 am »
You're only 40?!!!
 :grandpa:

No.  I'm 39.
On Wednesday I'll be 40.  :p<

Offline Go Sox!

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Spider Face
  • Last Login:
    January 10, 2018, 10:11 am
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 12:44 pm »
You're only 40?!!!
 :grandpa:

No.  I'm 39.
On Wednesday I'll be 40.  :p<

Welcome to 40!!   :drink:
Hope your footing always stays in the road and you don't fall in the road!   -- Denise

Offline denise

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 16, 2018, 11:51 am
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 01:11 pm »
Go for a higher price place try Murphy's in Virginia Highlands. They have good food, wine(if you want it), and good desserts. And, 40 isn't so bad, for you are still alive!

Offline Dachshund Lady

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • DREAM Dachshund Rescue
  • Last Login:
    January 14, 2018, 05:37 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49 pm »
4th&Swift

It's close, it's fantastic but still under the radar.  Great cocktails, great wine list, food is exquisite.

+1. We celebrated my birthday there last year. Delicious.
Work: www.bridgeclarity.com and www.bridgeinnovate.com
Service: www.dreamrescue.org

Offline NewtonsThirdLaw

• Human
  • Last Login:
    February 18, 2018, 09:07 am
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 05:50 pm »
We've done a couple special occasions at Kevin Rathbun's Steak and loved it. Their dry-aged steak for two with a nice red is hard to beat.

Have also really enjoyed Agave, Cakes and Ale, H. Harper, Atmosphere, Two Urban Licks, and plenty more places I'm not remembering.

Have a happy birthday and live it up!
Men of quality do not fear equality.

Offline Meredith

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 09, 2017, 09:33 am
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 08:38 am »
Lots of good ideas here... I'd go with Gunshow. I've never been to 4th & Swift so I can't speak to that. I think the food at H. Harper is awful. Everything about Gunshow is great.
First rule: "If you haven't called someone your self or they have notified you then Do not trust them! They are dishonest and a scam!"- Denise

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    February 16, 2018, 01:42 pm
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52 am »
Ended up doing Two Urban Licks, sat out on the patio for a bit with some wine, walked the Beltline a bit...then got home and discovered my wife had set up a surprise party for me with my mother and sister coming in from the west coast and my father coming down from Ohio and a bunch of friends from all around town.   :banana:

Offline jasonw

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 07:38 am
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53 am »
Gunshow?

Gave that one serious consideration..especially since we've been wanting to try it out. The whole 'group dining' thing kind of made it less appealing for this occasion. Also it looks like a lot of seafood on the menu that week.
I wanted to try that for my double-twenty bday too.  The group dining was a little strange, but we were in a decent size group, so wasn't so bad.  I think it'd be awful on a date with someone you like.  Date suggestions would be married couple on the verge of divorce or with a completely stupid but hot significant other that you want to look at but not bother with a conversation.

There were like 4 things on the menu-ish that I thought would be good to try.  The cooks kept coming by with plates of the stuff no one wanted.  We eventually felt guilty (and hungry) for rejecting them and watching them walk away with disappointed looks, that we said "yes" to a plate of $17 broccoli rabe.  After the group of us each had a $3-4 bite, we faked a babysitter emergency, paid our tab, and went to Vickery's.

Offline Go Sox!

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Spider Face
  • Last Login:
    January 10, 2018, 10:11 am
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 11:35 am »
Gunshow?

Gave that one serious consideration..especially since we've been wanting to try it out. The whole 'group dining' thing kind of made it less appealing for this occasion. Also it looks like a lot of seafood on the menu that week.
I wanted to try that for my double-twenty bday too.  The group dining was a little strange, but we were in a decent size group, so wasn't so bad.  I think it'd be awful on a date with someone you like.  Date suggestions would be married couple on the verge of divorce or with a completely stupid but hot significant other that you want to look at but not bother with a conversation.

There were like 4 things on the menu-ish that I thought would be good to try.  The cooks kept coming by with plates of the stuff no one wanted.  We eventually felt guilty (and hungry) for rejecting them and watching them walk away with disappointed looks, that we said "yes" to a plate of $17 broccoli rabe.  After the group of us each had a $3-4 bite, we faked a babysitter emergency, paid our tab, and went to Vickery's.

Haha...great review! 
Hope your footing always stays in the road and you don't fall in the road!   -- Denise

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 02:21 pm
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 12:00 pm »
Gunshow?

Weird. We had a completely different experience.  It probably is a bit loud to carry on a conversation at a table for more than four.  Perfectly fine for a two or four top.  They bring every option to your table when it is ready - not just options you select.  Everything looked great when we were in there so it was hard to turn anything away - part of the reason the tabs can get pretty pricey, but everything we tried was awesome.

You would be VERY hard pressed to walk out of there even close to full having only tried four dishes.
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice

Offline Andreas

• Thread Killer
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Sing while you may.
  • Last Login:
    February 18, 2018, 03:53 am
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46 pm »
Can you go anywhere you want?   If so, there are some really good restaurants OTP.  I can suggest a few in Switzerland.

Offline Meredith

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 09, 2017, 09:33 am
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 03:50 pm »
Ended up doing Two Urban Licks, sat out on the patio for a bit with some wine, walked the Beltline a bit...then got home and discovered my wife had set up a surprise party for me with my mother and sister coming in from the west coast and my father coming down from Ohio and a bunch of friends from all around town.   :banana:
:banana: Great!!!
First rule: "If you haven't called someone your self or they have notified you then Do not trust them! They are dishonest and a scam!"- Denise