Author Topic: Tomatillos  (Read 2681 times)

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 10, 2018, 10:26 pm
Tomatillos
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:39 pm »
Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:51 pm
Re: Tomatillos
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59 pm »
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 04:02 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05 pm »
Enter code "sunshine" at checkout for an additional $5 off.

...or just log in to your Loaf Deals account and apply the "sunshine" promo code. Then have $5 to use for whatever in the future.

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 03:17 pm »
Enter code "sunshine" at checkout for an additional $5 off.

...or just log in to your Loaf Deals account and apply the "sunshine" promo code. Then have $5 to use for whatever in the future.

Thanks!

Offline Rogue

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:14 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:12 pm »
Heads up if you bought one of those Loaf Deals.  Tried to use at Tomatillos tonight and they refused to honor it, not even the cash value that I paid for it.  Waitress said that owner would not honor them anymore because people were printing them out multiple times and using them over and over.  I was trying to use on the app, so obviously that wasn't what I was doing.  Was too tired to really argue, so paid I my tab and sent an email to Loaf Deals to try to get a refund.  Needless to say, I won't be frequenting Tomatillos.

Offline Blossompower

• Blossompower
  • Human
  • Everything happens for a reason I make up
    • Mindfulness and Psychotherapy
  • Last Login:
    August 09, 2017, 12:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 09:55 am »
Good to know. I bought that loaf deal and was reminded by the subject line that I needed to use it. oh well--can cross that off the list.
Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

---- Oscar Wilde

Offline georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:40 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 10:33 am »
OH, GREAT! The dishonest lowlife slackers have, again, spoiled it for the rest of us!

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:28 am »
Maybe a moot point now, but Tomatillos should have been marking the certificates as "redeemed" all-along on the business-facing side of the Loaf Deals. Then it seems pretty easy to verify whether or not a certificate has been used before.

Offline ratpack

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 08, 2018, 01:00 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:39 am »
Maybe a moot point now, but Tomatillos should have been marking the certificates as "redeemed" all-along on the business-facing side of the Loaf Deals. Then it seems pretty easy to verify whether or not a certificate has been used before.

Loaf Deals are printed from your computer. The problem with them is that people who want to cheat the system can just print off/photocopy multiple copies. Marking them up or simply taking them from consumers doesn't eliminate someone using the coupon again with another piece of paper. Groupon has similar problems with their printed deals.

Scoutmob developed a better system to eliminate fraud by their deals being redeemable only through the app (not to mention retailers only paying when a coupon is used), although it is possible to get around that as well if you really want to.

Basically, the rule of thumb for deals like this as a retailer is to not offer a deal so good that it's impossible to make at least some money during the redemption period in case people use a deal more than once. The loose money on every deal redemption hoping for repeat full price purchase model for those easily replicated coupons just doesn't work.
Yoiks! And away! Yoiks... and awa-ayy! Yo-iks... and away...

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 12:52 pm »

Loaf Deals are printed from your computer. The problem with them is that people who want to cheat the system can just print off/photocopy multiple copies. Marking them up or simply taking them from consumers doesn't eliminate someone using the coupon again with another piece of paper. Groupon has similar problems with their printed deals.

Scoutmob developed a better system to eliminate fraud by their deals being redeemable only through the app (not to mention retailers only paying when a coupon is used), although it is possible to get around that as well if you really want to.

Basically, the rule of thumb for deals like this as a retailer is to not offer a deal so good that it's impossible to make at least some money during the redemption period in case people use a deal more than once. The loose money on every deal redemption hoping for repeat full price purchase model for those easily replicated coupons just doesn't work.

Sucks that their POs system can't do a validation on whether it's already been used or not (ir that they haven't configured it to do so). You'd think that even if it wast able to check against a DB on Loaf's end, they could at least store the UPC locally to determine whether or not it's already been redeemed.

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 12:58 pm »

Isn't there a way for businesses who participate in Loaf Deals to log-in on the site and mark a voucher as "Redeemed" via its 10-digit ID once it is submitted by a customer? I'm fairly certain this happened with a Loaf Deal I used at 5 Seasons, but I had assumed most businesses just didn't do this b/c of time and effort.

At the bottom of each, Loaf Deal is this text:
Business Owners: To verify this certificate by phone, call (877) 502-1337 and enter [VoucherID]#

...so if businesses take the time to call, does it only show up as invalid if the purchaser themselves has marked it as redeemed?

Offline ratpack

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 08, 2018, 01:00 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 02:11 pm »
Groupon and Loaf aren't part of a standard POS so it's very manual. Most places aren't going to take the time to call/check the web to log a code as redeemed or verify it hasn't been used when taking a customer's coupon at the register/table. It's just too much of a PitA on the staff and customer wait times. Honor system is most often the case…which we know how well that works out. Again, my point was Scoutmob figured out a way to improve the model without slowing down the pace of business and that the shitty few ruin things for the masses.

I know when Oakland Cemetery sold 2 for 1 tour tickets through Groupon, they got a list of every person's name who purchased the deal. They printed it out and kept it near the register so once a person redeemed their Groupon piece of paper (or showed it on their phone), the name was crossed off the list. Manual and slightly time consuming, but helped eliminate the photocopy problem. Volume there isn't as taxing as other establishments though so each redeeming business MMV. No idea if Loaf has a similar reporting method to businesses that run deals.

All in all, Loaf deals seem like a very mediocre secure version and if I was a business owner I would probably never run one. Honestly, I think the only reason any business runs a loaf deal is because they are given a discount when running an actual regular loaf ad. So CL gets to push their loaf deals through a subsidy from ad sales. IMO.
Yoiks! And away! Yoiks... and awa-ayy! Yo-iks... and away...