Author Topic: tree question  (Read 490 times)

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
tree question
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:39 am »
So if a tree is on the property line, and they are building a second story on one of the houses, and one of the main branches of the tree is where that second story is going to go, and so they are going to cut it off, do they need an arborist permit? The branch in question is at least 12 inches in diameter, and if they take it off, the rest of the tree is going to be rather unbalanced in the direction of potentially falling on my house. That seems unhealthy.
(and please don't tell me to talk to the builder. I've already tried. He's a dick.)

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 18, 2017, 03:05 pm
Re: tree question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:03 am »
First of all - THAT SUCKS! 

Here is the ordinance but on a quick search I'm not seeing a clear answer.  May be worth digging into.
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:00 pm »
First of all - THAT SUCKS! 

Here is the ordinance but on a quick search I'm not seeing a clear answer.  May be worth digging into.
yeah, I had read that and couldn't decipher it, so I was hoping someone here with a better understanding of code-speak could help. There was a code guy out here last week, but when I asked him about the trees and about why the house didn't need a variance to go up that high, he literally told me that he didn't have to answer any of my questions. (and yes, I was being polite)

edited to add: your link was actually more detailed than the one I found earlier. The tree in question is a Chinaberry, so it looks like it's exempt from all the normal regulations. Blergh.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:10 pm by lorelei »

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    October 18, 2017, 03:50 am
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02 pm »
Calling the city arborist might get a better result than asking the code guy. Otherwise, you could have the crown raised on your side to balance it out, or (if it really is a trash tree according to code) have it cut down entirely, maybe.

Offline hotlegshooligan

• aka Sara
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Let the good times roll...
    • Recruiting New Rollergirls!!
  • Last Login:
    November 22, 2017, 11:37 am
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:41 pm »
My friend Christie works for Gunnison, she lives over here near me in GP, and she was recently named l9cal arborist of the year...she might have some insight? Or have dealt with this before.  Tell her sara sent you.
Her cell is 404-558-8806
But I do think China berry is a trash tree, invasive species, they are stubborn