Author Topic: East Woods Dale?  (Read 832 times)

Offline simpson383

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Mrs. Penultimate Man
  • Last Login:
    Today at 09:43 am
East Woods Dale?
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:12 pm »
Anybody ever come across this term? We just received the official deed to our new (1953) home on Van Vleck and it describes the property as being "in the subdivision of East Woods Dale". Just curious. Not a thing in google other than Redfin recognized it enough to give an EAV search results page.

Edit: searched slightly differently, several real estate sites give homes on VV and VE but no explanation or history.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:15 pm by simpson383 »
Son, I'll give you four cents each for them vanilllla wafers.

Offline Nate (NFN)

• Ha!
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I am user number 69 on the Buzz.
    • Just my pictures
  • Last Login:
    Today at 02:12 am
Re: East Woods Dale?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:17 am »
Braeburn Dr is in the neighborhood Braeburn Heights.

Offline Nate (NFN)

• Ha!
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I am user number 69 on the Buzz.
    • Just my pictures
  • Last Login:
    Today at 02:12 am
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:23 am »
I think it was a postwar thing to name the newly built communities for a sense of belonging. Reminisce of a different time.

Offline jasonw

• Human
  • Last Login:
    November 22, 2017, 10:35 am
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05 am »
Kind of sounds like a name of someone who could be in a sequel to Deliverance.

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:39 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32 pm »
Pretty small neighborhoods if there were separate ones for Braeburn and VV.
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline mongo

• GLG20
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • GLG20
  • Last Login:
    November 19, 2017, 02:35 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:18 am »
All of the land our neighborhood was once part of much larger contiguous tracts of property.  At some point, they were sectioned off into smaller parcels and sold as undeveloped land or subdivided and developed into individual houses or commercial properties as part of a land development.  When that subdivision process occurs, the subdividing property owner has the option to give the development a name when he files the property plat with the real estate office at the county courthouse.   Some stick and become popularly used.  Others don't and just remain on paper for tax and real estate transfer purposes. For example, most of the houses east of east of Highland Avenue in Virginia-Higlands are in a subdivision called "Atkins Park" since that is what the original property owner who subdivided the land decided to call it,  although NO ONE really uses that name anymore, except in reference to the bar which isn't even within the boundary of that in that subdivision

My house backs up directly up to Brownwood Park and technically that is the name of our subdivision, as shown on the original plat subdividing what was originally one giant piece of land owned by a single family, which I have attached.  There is no requirement that a developer do this, but most do for branding purposes and as an easy shorthand way to reference a particular development (compared to using the metes and bounds legal description of the property).   I am guessing that if you were to go to the DeKalb County courthouse real estate records room and pull the survey plat that was filed at the time the land on  Van Vleck was subdivided into individual residential lots, that is the name the developer chose to refer collectively to each of those individual lots, although the name apparently never caught on.

Anybody ever come across this term? We just received the official deed to our new (1953) home on Van Vleck and it describes the property as being "in the subdivision of East Woods Dale". Just curious. Not a thing in google other than Redfin recognized it enough to give an EAV search results page.

Edit: searched slightly differently, several real estate sites give homes on VV and VE but no explanation or history.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:24 am by mongo »
"Oh. Uh, will you hold my wallet for me while I take the test, please? There's a thousand dollars in there... or maybe there isn't. Know what I mean?"
--Emmett Fitz-Hume

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:14 pm »

I thought it was called The Dutch Sector.
<sig>

Offline simpson383

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Mrs. Penultimate Man
  • Last Login:
    Today at 09:43 am
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 03:37 pm »
Interesting info all, thanks. I just so work in the courthouse so will need to check out some records sometime...
Son, I'll give you four cents each for them vanilllla wafers.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    October 18, 2017, 03:50 am
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:40 pm »
Pretty small neighborhoods if there were separate ones for Braeburn and VV.

Our part of the neighborhood has some other name too, although I can't remember what it is.

Offline georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Today at 12:45 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 12:05 pm »
I grew up in southwest Atlanta a block away from Adams Park golf course. A guy next door to me who was 3 years older used to tell me he was headed to East Hell on Saturday night in 1969. Does anyone know which area he was referring to?

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 12:17 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 12:34 pm »
I grew up in southwest Atlanta a block away from Adams Park golf course. A guy next door to me who was 3 years older used to tell me he was headed to East Hell on Saturday night in 1969. Does anyone know which area he was referring to?

Probably Oakhurst?
Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline mongo

• GLG20
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • GLG20
  • Last Login:
    November 19, 2017, 02:35 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:37 pm »
East Lake Meadows was once known as "Little Vietnam" due to all the violent gun, drug, and gang activity there, but I don't think that terrible nickname really came into use until the 1980s.

"Oh. Uh, will you hold my wallet for me while I take the test, please? There's a thousand dollars in there... or maybe there isn't. Know what I mean?"
--Emmett Fitz-Hume