Author Topic: New construction = drainage nightmare - Anything to do?  (Read 282 times)

Offline pencilicon

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • It was like that when I got here.
  • Last Login:
    November 14, 2017, 02:11 pm
New construction = drainage nightmare - Anything to do?
« on: September 03, 2017, 01:59 pm »
Hi neighbors -
My house sits close to the bottom of a gradual slope. A new build a few lots up from me has been graded a good 1-2 feet above the old ground level (it was a side yard previously).  Do I have any recourse with the builder through cite code or other means? Or am I stuck with trying to adjust the drainage on my lot to accommodate the new home & grading? (Which I assume is the case, but UGH!) I'd truly appreciate any input and experience you have with this type of situation.
Thank you!!

Offline georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Today at 12:45 pm
Re: New construction = drainage nightmare - Anything to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 04:14 pm »
Contact CofA Watershed Management and the building inspector. The builders of the new house at Newton & Flat Shoals got in some expensive trouble with draining run-off water from the house onto Flat Shoals. They had to come back and re-route the water for all three of the houses.

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 18, 2017, 03:05 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:43 am »
Hi neighbors -
My house sits close to the bottom of a gradual slope. A new build a few lots up from me has been graded a good 1-2 feet above the old ground level (it was a side yard previously).  Do I have any recourse with the builder through cite code or other means? Or am I stuck with trying to adjust the drainage on my lot to accommodate the new home & grading? (Which I assume is the case, but UGH!) I'd truly appreciate any input and experience you have with this type of situation.
Thank you!!
I'd think a retaining wall and/or landscaping would be required to limit runoff/erosion.
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice

Offline pencilicon

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • It was like that when I got here.
  • Last Login:
    November 14, 2017, 02:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25 am »
Thanks guys! Great place to start!