Author Topic: East Atlanta Barbell Club to open in former Brother Moto space  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 31, 2017, 02:57 pm
Re: East Atlanta Barbell Club to open in former Brother Moto space
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 07:53 am »
It's a great place, well set up, Lis and Jim are awesome, and it's quiet  |@|.  I love working out there. 
"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:00 am
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 08:05 am »
Thank you for helping make more space at the Y!  :banana:

But not for jacking up our Y membership rate.  >:O

I think the Y is looking at some kind of remodel/reconfiguration, which is sorely needed. Place wasn't built to accommodate the giant hordes of Chick-fil-A loving, Starbucks drinking, Kroger MegaCenter suburbanites who live around here nowadays. They were trying to help out poor people.

Did I link the referral thing to you on here, via a pm or something? Just looked through my sent mail for such notices to give everyone a head's up and didn't see you in there. Fwiw, my initial referral came from Tank. He can get you one to replace mine, if yours did come from me.
As for Y crowding, most of it seems to be the summer camp kids, and their parents, at the moment. But yeah, I hear ya.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 08:57 am »
Thank you for helping make more space at the Y!  :banana:

But not for jacking up our Y membership rate.  >:O

I think the Y is looking at some kind of remodel/reconfiguration, which is sorely needed. Place wasn't built to accommodate the giant hordes of Chick-fil-A loving, Starbucks drinking, Kroger MegaCenter suburbanites who live around here nowadays. They were trying to help out poor people.

Did I link the referral thing to you on here, via a pm or something? Just looked through my sent mail for such notices to give everyone a head's up and didn't see you in there. Fwiw, my initial referral came from Tank. He can get you one to replace mine, if yours did come from me.
As for Y crowding, most of it seems to be the summer camp kids, and their parents, at the moment. But yeah, I hear ya.

It was official channels and all - I know you gave me referral info but it's possible you weren't the only one. I'll have to hit up the website and see. But, yeah, I think we can ride on another if we lose yours.

And parking for all those other activities (and clever Drew parents who are members so they park in the Y lot and walk through to get their kids) is a separate issue from popularity of equipment. Also a harder issue to solve.
<sig>

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:00 am
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 09:19 am »
And parking for all those other activities (and clever Drew parents who are members so they park in the Y lot and walk through to get their kids) is a separate issue from popularity of equipment. Also a harder issue to solve.

Yeah, it's a double whammy. Get there at the wrong time and deal with hoards of kids'n'parents in the parking lot. Navigate that and then hope'n'pray no one like myself just got started on the squat rack. Too frequently lately, someone had. And then I get to twiddle my thumbs for up to a half hour before I can really get started. Then there's the bag nazi lady that works there. Just so incredibly not worth the aggravation anymore, as all I ever used there was the weights area (meaning all the other stuff one has access to was worthless to me).
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 12:10 pm »

Yeah, it's a double whammy. Get there at the wrong time and deal with hoards of kids'n'parents in the parking lot. Navigate that and then hope'n'pray no one like myself just got started on the squat rack. Too frequently lately, someone had. And then I get to twiddle my thumbs for up to a half hour before I can really get started. Then there's the bag nazi lady that works there. Just so incredibly not worth the aggravation anymore, as all I ever used there was the weights area (meaning all the other stuff one has access to was worthless to me).

I'll give another  |@| to the barbell place coming along. Sure seems to be filling/creating a demand and it's (another) of the very few kinds of operations that fits that space well. But, seriously, being offensive by odor is disallowed in EAV. Be careful over there.
<sig>

Offline jcarp

• Human
  • Last Login:
    April 13, 2018, 08:21 am
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 09:55 am »
There's a post on ND talking about the owner (part owner?) of East Atlanta Barbell. Apparently, he was making a scene at the Grant Park Farmers Market, going around yelling at cops and calling them pigs. The ND post links to a Reddit thread that discusses situation, and the man himself, in more detail. He is also involved with the "Don't Call the Cops" signs that have popped up in EAV and elsewhere in the city. More information, along with conjecture and judgement/shaming, can be found in the Reddit thread. Here is the link so that folks can draw their own conclusions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comments/4wll5d/bravery_grant_park_farmers_market/

It worth noting that I haven't heard about any bad experiences with East Atlanta Barbell.

(Mods: Is it inappropriate to post this in this thread? If so, feel free to move it)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:26 pm by jcarp »

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 31, 2017, 02:57 pm
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24 am »
There's a post on ND talking about the owner (part owner?) of East Atlanta Barbell.

I like Jim from the times I've talked to him at Barbell. He said was an activist, and apparently a pretty enthusiastic consumer of recreational pharmaceuticals.  I don't care about that part, but I'm guessing that can impair your judgement.

That all said, I think this particular flavor of hate on the police is pretty damaging and damning.
And it's pretty monumentally stupid to do it when you are half of a business concern in the neighborhood.   I'll be watching this and seeing where it goes to decide whether it should impact my membership.
"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline hotlegshooligan

• aka Sara
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Let the good times roll...
    • Recruiting New Rollergirls!!
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 02:30 pm
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 01:45 pm »
There's a post on ND talking about the owner (part owner?) of East Atlanta Barbell. Apparently, he was making a scene at the Grant Park Farmers Market, going around yelling at cops and calling them pigs. The ND post links to a Reddit thread that discusses situation, and the man himself, in more detail. He is also involved with the "Don't Call the Cops" signs that have popped up in EAV and elsewhere in the city. More information, along with conjecture and judgement/shaming, can be found in the Reddit thread. Here is the link so that folks can draw their own conclusions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/comments/4wll5d/bravery_grant_park_farmers_market/

It worth noting that I haven't heard about any bad experiences with East Atlanta Barbell.

(Mods: Is it inappropriate to post this in this thread? If so, feel free to move it)

Yeah this guy has been posting on my neighborhood Facebook page all day because one of my neighbors who owns a hair salon right by my house called the cops on a very suspicious teen that was basically casing the place.  Asking for a drink of water then wanted directions (at 1:30 in afternoon) of how to get to MJ High School. She then posted a photo from survellience cameras.
Other neighbors later chimed in saying this is the same kid who has been committing other crimes in the area (at their houses), have video of him stealing from their cars, known by police to be gang affiliated (with screenshots of his Instagram where he reps Bloods etc)

Here are some of his genius responses

Jim Fergie Chambers
This is what ethnic cleansing looks like.
Thank you for providing us with a perfect example of the sort of racism were trying to point out. You've made this easier for us.
Www.dontcallthecopsatl.org

Jim Fergie Chambers
 Calling the cops because a young man appears suspicious to you is a racist act. Period. Sorry bout it.

Neighbor: "I wonder if {salon owner} posted this with the identical language, but without the photo, if you'd still call her a racist."
Jim Fergie Chambers "Of course I would. Identity politics mean nothing to me."

Jim Fergie Chambers :   In spite of your racial profiling (which is precisely what you just did), you failed to point out any crime committed. I don't use the word "ally," but those in our movement who do recognize that anti-blackness is rife in communities of color, not just white communities. You've shown this again.

Neighbor: Since when do people call 911 only after a crime is committed? That doesn't even make any sense.
Jim Fergie Chambers: That's the ask we're making.

Jim Fergie Chambers
Why don't both of you look at our website, and see some of the programs that go far beyond those [previous poster, who is Asian descent] mentioned, many of which have been proposed in the city?
You have every right to be confused about someone, but it does not give you the right to jeopardize their freedom or their life.
Sorry dude. You're right; I know less about the "minority" experience than you do, but before you try to arbitrarily identity politic me, consider the legacy of anti-blackness in Asian communities especially. And I'm transparent about who my family is, so you won't make me blink with that.

Pre-trial intervention, by the way, already exists, but unlike Pre-Arrest Diversion, it in no way prevents people being brought into the system, and often it does the opposite.
You're referring to Kwanzaa's initiative, which is hardly bipartisan, and it's a good thing, but we believe in taking this outside of electoral spaces.

Jim Fergie Chambers
No one is proposing a hug and a sandwich. We are proposing alternatives to state violence.
Remember that the people who Lived in this neighborhood before us feel the same way about their families.

Jim Fergie Chambers: And so my point here, our point as a group here, is just this: If this kid is indeed "trouble," are we just accepting his inherent criminality, and chalking him up as a lost cause? Are we accepting that our arrival to this neighborhood, due to at least some advantage in wealth, gives us the right to cleanse its residents?

This is why we want to see pre-arrest diversion: in Seattle, it's saved the city $5million/year, and reduced recidivism in active areas by over 50%. That's staggering.
Why do we not have a better entity than the police for dealing with troubled kids? Why do we not feel that working towards that, rather than locking people up indiscriminately, is the best approach?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:27 pm by hotlegshooligan »

Offline ManBearPig

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Story of my life, all in one little GIF
  • Last Login:
    September 13, 2017, 12:53 pm
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 02:26 pm »
I have been a member of the gym from day one and have really enjoyed it.  I have a fairly steep learning curve as this is stuff I have not done since high school (Powerlifting) but the other owner Lis has been fantastic and is very patient with folks new to this way of working out.

I have yet to see Jim's politics enter the gym, so to date that has been a non factor.
STAY AWAY FROM THE FERMENTED HERRING. I can NOT emphasize this enough so I'll say it again: STAY AWAY FROM THE FERMENTED HERRING.

Offline LisSmash

• Human
  • Last Login:
    December 05, 2016, 05:30 pm
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10 pm »
I have been a member of the gym from day one and have really enjoyed it.  I have a fairly steep learning curve as this is stuff I have not done since high school (Powerlifting) but the other owner Lis has been fantastic and is very patient with folks new to this way of working out.

I have yet to see Jim's politics enter the gym, so to date that has been a non factor.

Thanks to all of you who have shown support of our new barbell club!

I'm majority owner of EAV Barbell, and the daughter of a cop (I grew up outside of Tampa where my father worked for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office for over 25 years. He worked in law enforcement in Orlando Fl and Athens GA before that).

Jim is my business partner, and since we don't always agree on political and social movements, we have agreed to keep politics out of the gym.

Please feel free to email me with any questions about the club at lis@eavbarbell.com. We currently have a waiting list for members to train in the evening, but are accepting new members to train at other times.

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 03:21 pm »

I'm majority owner of EAV Barbell, and the daughter of a cop (I grew up outside of Tampa where my father worked for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office for over 25 years. He worked in law enforcement in Orlando Fl and Athens GA before that).

Jim is my business partner, and since we don't always agree on political and social movements, we have agreed to keep politics out of the gym.

Please feel free to email me with any questions about the club at lis@eavbarbell.com. We currently have a waiting list for members to train in the evening, but are accepting new members to train at other times.

There is "keeping politics out of the workplace" and then there is "politically alienating potential clientele". 
I won't even pretend that I ever would have entertained membership anyway...not the sort of place I'm interested in...but if I was, I can certainly say his very public actions would definitely affect my decision. 

Offline jcarp

• Human
  • Last Login:
    April 13, 2018, 08:21 am
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20 pm »

Thanks for clarifying for us, Lis. It's unfortunate that you must deal with the fallout of your business partner's behavior. I get the feeling that he is the kind of guy that has rarely had to face the consequences of his actions.

I'm happy to hear that the business is doing well - everyone seems to have great things to say about their experience with East Atlanta Barbell.

Offline James

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 22, 2017, 07:35 pm

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 05:05 pm
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 01:18 pm »
we have agreed to keep politics out of the gym.

https://www.facebook.com/eastatlantabarbell/?fref=nf

:o

Yeah...ummkay...
So either Lis is blowing smoke or the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing...

Offline hotlegshooligan

• aka Sara
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Let the good times roll...
    • Recruiting New Rollergirls!!
  • Last Login:
    April 18, 2018, 02:30 pm
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 01:39 pm »
the carefully curated toolbag partner mentioned above has posted some crap on facebook whining about having a disagreement with Lis and smugly saying that he owns the websites (I think he means FB?), and he also posted this to his personal page

You don't know who the president is gonna be until you see who EAV buzz endorses.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:42 pm by hotlegshooligan »