Author Topic: City of South Dekalb Meetings for UinD Residents  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Jaytag

• Human
  • Last Login:
    October 02, 2016, 09:10 pm
City of South Dekalb Meetings for UinD Residents
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:10 am »
With the news of the newly proposed Cityof LaVista Hills, the incorporation topic of Dekalb County is back on the front burner.

We in East Atlanta who are not in COA, are on the alert for movements out there to incorporate. Here is the link for City of South Dekalb movement. http://southdekalbcityhood.blogspot.com/

There is a planned meeting for this Thursday 11/20 in Ellenwood.

Discussion on pros and cons of the options here? From what I can see we have 3 options. Attempt to remain without any changes, Possible annexation to COA or become part of the Proposed City of South Dekalb - name still to be determined.

I know many have voiced concerns about higher taxes if annexed, however, it seems that we in UinD East Atlanta as a community would face a division from the COA East Atlanta. 

Those of you in UinD as neighbors, what are your thoughts?
What? What? Queen of the Strut! See her September 21st. Parade @ 2 p.m.

Offline chrisw

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 02:45 pm
Re: City of South Dekalb Meetings for UinD Residents
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34 am »
I don't understand why anyone would want to become part of the COA. I'm about 1 block outside the city and my taxes are about 1/2 of my neighbors who are located in the COA. My water bill is also about 1/2 that of those in the COA. I've spoke with many long time neighbors and none want to become part of the COA. There have been prior attempts to do this and they have all failed (according to my old neighbor). We now have a reasonably close fire station so that's no longer a concern. I mean, what do you you get for the additional taxes? a street light and a sidewalk?

Offline Jaytag

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25 am »
Understood, so you favor becoming part of the new South Dekalb City? Or do  you feel that we have a good chance of being left alone to exist as we are?

Offline JBB

• historic facial hair
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 11, 2017, 01:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53 am »
I don't understand why anyone would want to become part of the COA. I'm about 1 block outside the city and my taxes are about 1/2 of my neighbors who are located in the COA. My water bill is also about 1/2 that of those in the COA. I've spoke with many long time neighbors and none want to become part of the COA. There have been prior attempts to do this and they have all failed (according to my old neighbor). We now have a reasonably close fire station so that's no longer a concern. I mean, what do you you get for the additional taxes? a street light and a sidewalk?
some folks have kids... COA schools vs south DeKalb schools.  And City of Gresham would still be part of DeKalb County Schools.

Oh, and the next person to be elected mayor is really gonna be the one to fix everything... for sure this time... I just know it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:34 am by JBB »
"I'll try the foot long hot dogs." -Denise

Offline Gmoney

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 16, 2017, 08:42 am
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:06 am »
In prior discussions on this topic, I recall someone saying that for houses valued under $260K or so, taxes would drop with annexation by CoA.  Yes, water rates would go up, but it would be nice to move the CoA/UniD split out of our neighborhood (for policing purposes), and as weird as this sounds to say, Atlanta has the better schools, which would likely result in a increase in home values.

If the part about the taxes is true, I'd probably favor annexation by CoA.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:05 am by Gmoney »
"I am glad that the Robert got shot. Be careful out there!" - Denise

Offline Jaytag

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 11:08 am »
In prior discussions on this topic, I recall someone saying that for houses valued under $260K or so, taxes would drop with annexation by CoA.  Yes, water rates would go up, but it would be nice to move the CoA/UniD split out of our neighborhood (for policing purposes), and as weird as this sounds to say, Atlanta has the better schools, which would likely result in a increase in home values.

-G

I agree, while no one wants higher taxes even at above $260 K, I would like to see us all one unified city. I am certain that what is already COA - East Atlanta would not succeed from COA to form it's own City of East Atlanta picking up us in UniD. I think we all need to start weighing these options because while it may take a few years, eventually we are looking at a vote to move to something other than unincorporated status.

Our street has made great strides in working with Dekalb Police, but the fact remains when you dial 911, you never know how quickly you will get a unit or what other number you will have to call.

Offline meltco

• Human
  • Last Login:
    June 17, 2017, 11:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 02:44 pm »
name still to be determined

I propose the name "DeKizzle."
"Delicious, cheesy pies. With meat!" —vigodas-pants

Offline jasonw

• Human
  • Last Login:
    December 11, 2017, 10:24 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 03:00 pm »
name still to be determined

I propose the name "DeKizzle."
Would the "L" be silent?

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
    August 18, 2017, 10:21 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54 pm »

-G

Yeah, CoA has a nice homestead exemption that makes taxes cheaper than Uni-DeKalb for most low or moderately valued homes that serve as your primary residence. Also CoA has been reducing its mil rate the past few years. I would expect that trend to continue as they have been getting their finances in order.

Druid Hills survey results that came out the other day that they prefer Annexation into CoA: http://druidhills.org/2014/11/17/the-dhca-survey/

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    October 18, 2017, 03:50 am
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:36 pm »
The issue is that, because all the rich parts of Dekalb are racing to incorporate, if you UniD folks don't agree to join CoA you'll get left holding the bag paying for all your own services without getting subsidized. (Joining some kind of "City of South Dekalb" or "City of Gresham Park" probably wouldn't help because those things have no reasonable tax base either.)

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 08:19 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 11:10 pm »
I'm UniD and haven't been contacted directly regarding annexation by the city or direct incorporation into a new "thing."  I'm on the FUCKING CITY LIMIT so you'd think it would be easy to sway me either way.  But no.  :(~

Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline SB

• Human
  • Last Login:
    March 27, 2017, 06:55 am
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 09:55 am »
I'm UniD and haven't been contacted directly regarding annexation by the city or direct incorporation into a new "thing."  I'm on the FUCKING CITY LIMIT so you'd think it would be easy to sway me either way.  But no.  :(~

Same here.  Pretty close to the line...

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14 am »
These are usually neighbor driven things. The Cityhood efforts to date usually just people that live in the area getting together and planning. They may pay for a survey in the later stages or do direct mailings. But those are usually later in the cityhood efforts. My mother lives in the boundaries of the new city of Lakeside/Braircliff/Lavista Hills which seems to be much more organized effort and further along in the process. but the only communications she seems to get on it is news I forward her.

If you and / or your neighbors want to be annexed into Atlanta you need to organize and contact the city. That is what Druid Hills is doing.  As far as I am aware there are no significant efforts to annex parts of south DeKalb into CoA.

Either way their will be a vote as the final step and you can have your voice heard then (if you decide to get out and vote). But besides that I would not set your expectations to high about somebody contacting you. It is on you to get involved with your neighbors if you care. Otherwise others will determine if you end up as part of a existing city, new city, or unincorporated island.

Offline JBB

• historic facial hair
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 11, 2017, 01:52 pm
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 11:44 am »
no vote (referendum) is needed to annex into the City of Atlanta.
"I'll try the foot long hot dogs." -Denise

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 01:53 pm »
no vote (referendum) is needed to annex into the City of Atlanta.

If it is a smaller area and/or 100% of property owners agree to annexation then you are correct. However, I don't think that is what we are talking about here.

If an area proposed for annexation by local act of the General Assembly is comprised of more than 50% residential property (by acreage) and includes a population exceeding three percent of the city's population or 500 persons, whichever is less, then the annexation must be approved by referendum.

http://www.gmanet.com/MDR.aspx?CNID=20717
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:58 pm by jsvh »