Author Topic: 770 Shadowridge (again) this time for realz  (Read 2654 times)

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
Re: 770 Shadowridge (again) this time for realz
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 10:28 am »
Just a "Thank You" to all that attended the NPU-W LUZ meeting tonight! There was a substantial presence there to represent our neighborhood. The developer's attorney "ratchet-jawed" most of the last 1hr45min of the meeting and it's looking like the developer is drilling a "dry hole". Especially after getting their butts handed to them by two of our neighbor's pointed questions that they had no retort for. The longer the Q&A went on, the more aggravated they became.
They are talking about building 20 houses with a 880 sq ft footprint on Thress (which is a private street). Can you imagine what a "cluster" that will be, trafficwise, trying to get in and out of the subdivision as the only access is Shadowridge.
They kept thumping their chests that they were only developing 50% of the property and "giving" the remainder to the City of Atlanta for a greenspace with trails. BS! What they are donating is property that they can't build on due to the steep and unusable terrain!
And the cpper is that the paperwork was not in order, so no vote to approve/disapprove could be taken!

Other things that I really did not like:
1) their insistence they are only removing 9 trees. I have feeling that was "9 old-growth trees we have to get a permit for"(if the number is not a total lie). Which we will replace with 53 crepe myrtles. Because that's totally the same thing!
2) His harping on the 880sf. "footprint", which he was obviously trying to pass off as 880sf of house.. Which it isn't, the houses are all at least 2 stories.
 :diaf:

Online georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Today at 04:51 pm
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 11:07 am »
Just a "Thank You" to all that attended the NPU-W LUZ meeting tonight! There was a substantial presence there to represent our neighborhood. The developer's attorney "ratchet-jawed" most of the last 1hr45min of the meeting and it's looking like the developer is drilling a "dry hole". Especially after getting their butts handed to them by two of our neighbor's pointed questions that they had no retort for. The longer the Q&A went on, the more aggravated they became.
They are talking about building 20 houses with a 880 sq ft footprint on Thress (which is a private street). Can you imagine what a "cluster" that will be, trafficwise, trying to get in and out of the subdivision as the only access is Shadowridge.
They kept thumping their chests that they were only developing 50% of the property and "giving" the remainder to the City of Atlanta for a greenspace with trails. BS! What they are donating is property that they can't build on due to the steep and unusable terrain!
And the cpper is that the paperwork was not in order, so no vote to approve/disapprove could be taken!

1) their insistence they are only removing 9 trees. I have feeling that was "9 old-growth trees we have to get a permit for"(if the number is not a total lie). Which we will replace with 53 crepe myrtles. Because that's totally the same thing!
2) His harping on the 880sf. "footprint", which he was obviously trying to pass off as 880sf of house.. Which it isn't, the houses are all at least 2 stories.
I, also,have a problem with the "9" trees. In walking the property previously, I noticed the vast majority of the trees are hardwoods. Their attorney also said last night that the "9" trees will be around 48" in circumference. How can planting the 53 crepe myrtles offset the "murder" of these hardwoods?
The 880 sq ft will yield a footprint of 29.66' x 29.66' with multiple stories which they will try to market in the $375k range with the two larger houses at the deepest end of the development priced at $425k. They are trying to "shoehorn" as many houses as they can on this lot.
The main problem I have with this developer is my perception of their arrogance and lack of empathy to the environment and the surrounding neighborhood.

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:54 pm
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 11:08 am »

More stuff not to like:
1) The "smallish" houses will have zero lot lines, as in ONLY THE LAND UNDER THE UNIT will be sold to the home owner. The rest of the property is communal, with condo-like guidelines for use, maintenance, and fees.  There will be no fences, which I can't wrap my head around because I'm picturing the shared green space covered in dog poo.
2) The trail that's being developed *along* the creek.  The 3+ acres that are not buildable because of the steep slope and the stream-bed buffers will be donated to the city as a park.
3) The developer has stated if they don't get the re-zoning approval, they will go with R4, slice up the stream, and build large "cookie cutter" houses with "crap materials" (<- these are quotes). Starting prices in the $750k range.
4) http://www.heritagecapitolpartners.com/properties.html  They haven't built anything like this before...
Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47 pm »
The EACA meeting was even more heated than the NPU one.  After the developer and his posse stormed out, Natalyn announced that $1.2 million has been approved by the tree canopy preservation group to purchase the property.  If the deal falls through with Heritage Capital (they haven't closed yet) maybe we won't have a condo association called The Cottages at Ormewood Forest in our neighborhood.

*note- the 180 day tree removal moratorium in the CoA is only for 10 or more trees.  Heritage Capital said they're only removing 9.  :([
Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:22 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 02:31 pm »
If this development is approved and the unbuildable land is donated to the city, is there any guarantee the city would clean it up and maintain it?
Or will HFranks still be on a rope pulling tires out of the ditch when she's 70 years old?
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Online georgian

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 03:07 pm »
If this development is approved and the unbuildable land is donated to the city, is there any guarantee the city would clean it up and maintain it?
Or will HFranks still be on a rope pulling tires out of the ditch when she's 70 years old?
If she is, I will still be loading them in my truck!

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07 am »

This same question was asked several times and the lawyer for the developer redirected.

Online georgian

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06 am »

This same question was asked several times and the lawyer for the developer redirected.
At the LUZ meeting, he did that a lot.

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 11:11 am »
The lawyer for Heritage Capitol Partners presented the application for rezoning to the Zoning Review Board. He wasn't really prepared, his speach was rambling and vague and he said "uh" more times than not.  Most of the audience were Ormewood Forest supporters, dressed in appropriate dark green tee shirts.  It appears a couple of neighbors have lawyered up and the first objector, the lawyer, spoke to the application itself being vague and incomplete.  Andy Schneggenburger spoke second.  As the EACA Land Use & Zoning Chair, he's intelligent, precise, succinct and polite. He's probably presented to the board on numerous occasions and the developer was not wise to attempt to discredit our organized neighbors.  HCP presented a list of complete fabrications and I believe the board recognized it.  Final answer, the board asked if they would accept a 90 day deferral. HCP accepted but asked for  60 days.  Andy was asked the same and he said no, it wouldn't make a difference at this point.  We're done with negotiations. So the developer, (I think) sensing the board was going to deny the rezoning application, took the deferral.

One Ormewood Ave home owner brought a nice overlay of all the prior tree surveys where HCP has under-counted trees and denies being responsible for tree removal as late as two weeks ago. Ralph Green brought the cut stump parts to the last meeting at the Village Church.

Now Heritage Capitol Partners owns the parcel at 770 Shadowridge Drive.  Recap on the rezoning - from R4 to PHD, so they can build 20 smallish houses with zero lot lines all clustered up against the southern edge (Oakfield Drive) and leave the other half as a donated park to the city.  The "other half" is unbuildable due to the steep terrain and the stream buffers.  R4 allows for 10 houses, which they've threatened to build as unattractive, with cheap materials, if they don't get their way.

There are large and imposing NO TRESPASSING signs posted at the entrance.  If only we knew of someone with huge amounts of inherited wealth that could make a goodwill gesture to the neighborhood and offer to buy them out...

Offline 54 Pontiac

• Human
  • I was smarter than this fish.
  • Last Login:
    Today at 04:17 pm
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27 am »
If only we knew of someone with huge amounts of inherited wealth that could make a goodwill gesture to the neighborhood and offer to buy them out...

Or a civic institution with a commitment to urban greenspace...

Offline pencilicon

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • It was like that when I got here.
  • Last Login:
    November 14, 2017, 02:11 pm
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 01:10 pm »
If only we knew of someone with huge amounts of inherited wealth that could make a goodwill gesture to the neighborhood and offer to buy them out...

Or a civic institution with a commitment to urban greenspace...

if only some person or organization would help out such a worthy cause!  :angel:

Offline jcarp

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 08:32 am
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 07:39 am »
I just heard on WABE this morning that the City would be purchasing Ormewood Forest?

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 10:09 am »
I just heard on WABE this morning that the City would be purchasing Ormewood Forest?

Yeah, I saw them doing an interview at the the street entrance (Thress), but Heritage Capitol Partners closed on the parcel around July 31st.  The city authorized the funds, but as far as we know, the property is no longer for sale.

Offline pencilicon

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • It was like that when I got here.
  • Last Login:
    November 14, 2017, 02:11 pm
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 07:49 am »
Is it worth a call to Natalyn's office?

Offline vigodas-pants

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 18, 2017, 03:05 pm
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10 pm »
Is it worth a call to Natalyn's office?
I would think Natalyn would already be well ahead of this since I believe it was her motion that lead to city council pushing the funds for the purchase.
"...I once wrestled a pig named Martha." -MRice