Author Topic: Recommendation for ceiling drywall repair and stippling  (Read 348 times)

Offline Brandy

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 12:10 pm
Recommendation for ceiling drywall repair and stippling
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:42 am »
Previous owners/tenants installed ceiling fixtures in wonky places, so I'm moving them.  I can do the electricity and installation, but I am not skilled in the slightest with drywall patching and then mud/joint compound stippling (is that even the word?). 

Does anyone have a good recommendation for this type of work? While I'd like to take all the texture off the ceilings, that's a long-term project and I'd like the interim ceiling pattern to match the existing one as much as possible.

Thanks for any leads! |@|

(attaching gratuitous photo of the "quality" work that needs to be patched up)

Offline georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Today at 04:51 pm
Re: Recommendation for ceiling drywall repair and stippling
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:17 am »
I think you would have to pull the electrical wiring and terminate it at the next junction box for code. Then the metal box needs to be removed and then the hole repaired with drywall patch. Then take a cotton rag and dab the patch with drywall compound until you get the stippled effect or design you want. I do not do drywall because, quite frankly, my skillset is not heavy on artistic ability. I would think that if you don't want to do it, this project is too small for a professional drywall company and it would be cost prohibitive. Another option would be to leave the wiring wire capped off and install some white round fixture covers until you get ready to have the ceilings completely redone.
Just my $.02
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:26 am by georgian »

Offline Brandy

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Today at 12:10 pm
Re: Recommendation for ceiling drywall repair and stippling
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:42 am »
I think hyo would have to pull the electrical wiring and terminate it at the next junction box for code. Then the metal box needs to be removed and then the hole repaired with drywall patch.

I concur, and I can do this. The supply to the switch is fine, but I'll have to pull a longer wire from the switch to the fixture (existing wire isn't long enough), but I will also change the switch box from a 2-gang to a 3-gang because the dining fixture doesn't currently have a switch to it.  Oh, and just for shits and giggles about the work done on this house, they used electrical outlets as junction boxes and they also used plastic switch boxes at ceiling light fixtures.  >:( Seriously.  I'm going to have to re-wire the whole damn thing. 

Then take a cotton rag and dab the patch with drywall compound until you get the stippled effect or design you want. I do not do drywall because, quite frankly, my skillset is not heavy on artistic ability. I would think that if you don't want to do it, this project is too small for a professional drywall company and it would be cost prohibitive. Another option would be to leave the wiring wire capped off and install some white round fixture covers until you get ready to have the ceilings completely redone.
Just my $.02

yeah, this is beyond my skillset as well.  My efforts at creating the stippling effect on the hallway ceiling when I pulled that light are testimony to the fact that I require professional assistance.  I do have a decorative white round fixture cover that was on the lovely hole featured in the photo, but I would rather get this addressed prior to installing the ceiling fan (so that the ceiling fan doesn't have to be taken down to fix said hole).

Anyhow, thank you for your 2 cents.  Hoping some other neighbors have some people to recommend.