Author Topic: Hodgepodge coffee shop  (Read 16535 times)

Offline ohmylorelei

• Human
    • LaurelSnyder
  • Last Login:
    July 03, 2017, 10:10 am
Hodgepodge coffee shop
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:51 pm »
I stopped in today, with my kids, and the place is so NICE! Good coffee, made quickly by friendly people. 

Amazing light and comfy couches.

It has a sort of hip-industrial-gallery-space-meets-Goodwill-furniture-vibe that I like.

Plus, kiddie chairs and chalkboards for children.

My kids loved the cupcakes, and I'll go back soon to try the food, as they add to the menu.

Thursday night they're having some kind of art opening, with wine and mini-cupcakes and things,  7 pm, for anyone who might be curious.

xoLaurel

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 31, 2017, 02:57 pm
Re: Hodgepodge coffee shop
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:52 pm »
A what? A where?
"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56 pm »
I stopped in today, with my kids, and the place is so NICE! Good coffee, made quickly by friendly people. 

Amazing light and comfy couches.

It has a sort of hip-industrial-gallery-space-meets-Goodwill-furniture-vibe that I like.

Plus, kiddie chairs and chalkboards for children.

My kids loved the cupcakes, and I'll go back soon to try the food, as they add to the menu.

Thursday night they're having some kind of art opening, with wine and mini-cupcakes and things,  7 pm, for anyone who might be curious.

We stopped in on Saturday (opening day) about 30-45 minutes before the big electrical display and torrential downpour..  It's pretty cool in there...bare at the moment, but I guess eventually they'll have more art on the walls.  The food/coffee selection was limited at the time, but we really were just curious and wanted to show our support.  They didn't even have drip coffee then...but the americanos were actually pretty good. 

Our kids apparently got to christen the chalkboard as they were the first kids on opening day.

A little concerned about the parking...but fortunately we are within walking distance.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:57 pm by J. Grouchy »

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59 pm »
A what? A where?

The building across Moreland from Jiffy Mart...wasn't it a chop shop back in the day?  More recently where they sold christmas trees...

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00 pm »
A little concerned about the parking...but fortunately we are within walking distance.

And you get the learn the joys of crossing Moreland Avenue with small kids in order to enjoy a simple pleasure like coffee (or ice cream in the case of East Atlantans).

Glad you Ormewood Parkers have what seems like a cool coffee place nearby now (but not as cool as Joe's, of course) ... even if it's actually in East Atlanta.
<sig>

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:05 pm »
And you get the learn the joys of crossing Moreland Avenue with small kids in order to enjoy a simple pleasure like coffee (or ice cream in the case of East Atlantans).

Just imagine what it would be like if there was a 14-pump QT across the street...

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:10 pm »

Just imagine what it would be like if there was a 14-pump QT across the street...

Hey, they'd have to make the light longer on the Ormewood Avenue end. That would be easier!

But, of course, you'd never even make it across to Hodgepodge with those Freezonis calling your name.
<sig>

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:15 pm »

Hey, they'd have to make the light longer on the Ormewood Avenue end. That would be easier!

I dunno about that...all those cars turning left to go northbound...

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:27 pm »

I dunno about that...all those cars turning left to go northbound...

Well, I was kidding.
<sig>

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 04:15 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 08:12 am »
Hope this place works out. It's in a really cool looking building.

Offline Jorge

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Welcome To "The Jungle"
  • Last Login:
    January 13, 2018, 11:18 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:59 am »
Stopped by last night for the first. Looks like I have an East Atlanta coffee shop. Really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:12 am »
Stopped by last night for the first. Looks like I have an East Atlanta coffee shop. Really enjoyed the atmosphere.

I've had an East Atlanta coffee shop since before I moved here 12 years ago.

What was it you really enjoyed about the atmosphere? The wide expanses of concrete inside? The pleasant hum of semi trucks rolling by on Moreland? I think the place has potential as art space or just "space" (as in it's quite spacious), but my experience wouldn't put "atmosphere" up there as a selling point from a coffee house perspective.
<sig>

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17 am »

I've had an East Atlanta coffee shop since before I moved here 12 years ago.

What was it you really enjoyed about the atmosphere? The wide expanses of concrete inside? The pleasant hum of semi trucks rolling by on Moreland? I think the place has potential as art space or just "space" (as in it's quite spacious), but my experience wouldn't put "atmosphere" up there as a selling point from a coffee house perspective.

Personally, I prefer wide open and well-lit to dark, cramped and full of musty couches.   Besides...it's closer. I'm not really a "hang out for an hour in a coffee shop" kind of guy anyway, though... :(~

Offline micki mouse

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:33 am
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19 am »
where do you park? Is there enough parking in front/behind the building? Is it free? ;)

Offline Allyson

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    May 14, 2015, 03:39 pm
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 08:26 am »
I still have lots of love for Joe's.  But, I do like Hodge Podge.  The space is open and bright and parking is no problem.

Knit night last night was very pleasant.  Plenty of couches next to each other, adequate tables for drinks, and the lighting is very good. 

The Valentine craft event they had for kids was nice, too.  Tables full of paper and craft supplies in one room.  Lots of space for kids to move around.   And still 2 other rooms for people to work or chat in peace. 

And Batdorf is good stuff.