Author Topic: Right on the dial, wrong on the music...  (Read 15666 times)

Offline Jctoast

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    March 09, 2017, 02:57 pm
Re: Right on the dial, wrong on the music...
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 10:08 pm »
Yes. My guess is the name is to appeal to 18-34 year old males, which will be their target audience.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 10:29 pm »
As an 18-34 year old male, I have to ask: WTF is "active rock?!"

I miss Fox 97 (and Randy and Spiff)...

Offline Esrik

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Adopt a Beagle! Go on, you know you want to!
    • Atlanta Beagle Rescue
  • Last Login:
    April 22, 2018, 06:16 pm
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 10:40 pm »
Based on the sample I heard multiple times today, sounds like 99X will sound like 96.1 used to 3 days ago. 

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 10:41 pm »

ditto.  and what would INactive rock be?

Offline Flower Lady

• Human
  • Transparent
    • The Electric Garden
  • Last Login:
    October 13, 2016, 06:31 pm
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 12:06 am »
Jctoast is actually my husband's account. I hijacked it.

Out of curiosity, in your opinion, how much of the current state of radio is the result of the deregulation of radio (1996 Telecommunications Act), allowing one owner to own multiple stations in one city versus changes in the music industry in general (i.e. rise of digital media)?

The state of terrestrial radio today is directly because of the deregulation. It became easy to gobble up stations. Then after all the station grabbing, the notes had to be paid. In comes revenue squeezing. Thousands upon thousands in radio have been let go, downsized, what have you, in the last couple years. And even thousands more before that. It helped give rise to the digital options.

By the way, in a few years some corporate radio suit will be heralded as a "genius" in the industry (what will be left of it) because he will have the brilliant idea to broaden the playlists and get back to personalities and make radio local.

99X flipped tonight.
Yes, that is exactly what is happening at 1690, great radio personalities, alternative programming, broad playlists, specialty shows that are fun.
chuffing charlie, the farting fox

Offline Jctoast

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    March 09, 2017, 02:57 pm
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 06:20 am »
Flower Lady, I'm referring to FM radio when I say that. The FM band has always been different than AM. AM's have to power up and power down and the signal isn't as strong or compressed. They tend to have stability and a much different business model. They aren't the stations sought after by the large corporations; it's these suits I refer to. (Also, yes, I know it's a good thing they aren't sought after in the way FM frequencies are.)

The Bone is a stupid, stupid name. This is the contempt these owners have for potential listeners.
Active Rock is an industry term meaning harder, newer rock.

Offline cassinator

• Human
    • The Mario Scarf
  • Last Login:
    September 03, 2014, 05:22 am
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 05:37 pm »
Tangentially related, why does it seem like reception has decreased so much? I mostly listen to 90.1 or 88.5,  and I swear once you have to drive outside the perimeter you lose both.

Former WRAShole here... The station's signal goes as far west as Anniston, AL so my guess is terrestrial and electronic interferences along the highway. I drive to Suwanee for work and have no problem picking up 90.1 the whole way. I'll have to tune in to 88 some morning this week and check it out.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Offline cassinator

• Human
    • The Mario Scarf
  • Last Login:
    September 03, 2014, 05:22 am
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 05:38 pm »

Grew up on Randy and Spiff and Fox 97. My parents wouldn't let me listen to pop radio so all I could listen to was the oldies station. My dad used to give me a quarter if I could name the title and artist of the song.  :-\ Nostalgia right there...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 04:15 pm
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36 pm »
Damn, I'd been putting it off for a while, but now I think it's time I go through the presets in my car and clean house.

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
    January 09, 2018, 11:30 pm
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 08:48 pm »
Damn, I'd been putting it off for a while, but now I think it's time I go through the presets in my car and clean house.

I'm thinking it may be time to go to satellite.  I only listen to DAVE. Well, and NPR. I'm bummed.

Meredith in EAV

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 09:03 am »

I'm thinking it may be time to go to satellite.  I only listen to DAVE. Well, and NPR. I'm bummed.
I love it. While I default to NPR during the week, on the weekends I listen to the Grateful Dead channel, 60's vinyl and some others. One of my favorite things about that is there are some DJ's that I used to love in NYC that are now hosting some of these.

You dould no doubt find a channel that covers your favorites.

I haven't even really explored it fully, but there are a TON of stations including comedy stations, and of course Howard Stern.

Offline katherine77

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 11:09 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 11:31 am »
I have to say I haven't noticed a real difference in 99x/98.9 since the flip except the stupid name. (Just now on my drive to work I heard the DJ say "98.9 The Bone, givin it to you hard!" and had to roll my eyes. How do they say that stuff with a straight face?)

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44 am »
I have to say I haven't noticed a real difference in 99x/98.9 since the flip except the stupid name. (Just now on my drive to work I heard the DJ say "98.9 The Bone, givin it to you hard!" and had to roll my eyes. How do they say that stuff with a straight face?)

wow.  That's just bad.  Not even 'funny bad'...just bad.  So is management over there a bunch of 13 year old boys?

Offline Andreas

• Thread Killer
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Sing while you may.
  • Last Login:
    Today at 08:07 am
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 05:31 pm »

wow.  That's just bad.  Not even 'funny bad'...just bad.  So is management over there a bunch of 13 year old boys?

I'm guessing their target demo is not really the sort that openly admit to wanting it hard.  A marketing manager somewhere is doing it wrong.

Offline Esrik

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Adopt a Beagle! Go on, you know you want to!
    • Atlanta Beagle Rescue
  • Last Login:
    April 22, 2018, 06:16 pm
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 07:35 pm »
It's a pretty noticable shift from my point of view, certainly hearing songs I wouldn't have expected to hear before.  Shame the signal is still crappy.