Author Topic: Re-do of store fronts along Glenwood?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Eurotrash

• Human
  • Last Login:
    March 19, 2018, 05:45 pm
Re: Re-do of store fronts along Glenwood?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 11:03 pm »
The rear facing storefronts that are proposed to face the Graveyard's "come and get robbed" parking lot are currently constructed to what appears to be Stone Mountain Granite.  It would be a shame to cover that up.  On a related note,  I would hope that if they build those basement storefronts in any form, they would come with a clean up of that parking lot, a new enclosure for the dumpsters, and  additional lighting.

I speak to the Paces folk from time to time as they are the landlords over at my moonlighting gig, and they like to drink. When one of the guys was showing me the pictures on his phone, he specifically apologized for the bland computer generated images and stated that they definitely did not intend for that to be the actual final design. It was just a quick and easy first draft to start the planning process.
Pretty sure it's owned by the Graveyard folks.

The plan seems to include redoing the parking lot including lighting and what not, from the rough drawings. The granite in the basement places is awesome. Not sure how easy it would be to get business back there unless you were destination retail rather than foot traffic retail.

I believe the big parking lot behind the Graveyard is not included in the Paces parcel.

I though the same thing. I will dig up the PDF and see what it shows for the site plan.

Offline camilo

• Human
  • Last Login:
    June 02, 2016, 10:34 am
Re: Re-do of store fronts along Glenwood?
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 09:10 am »
I know, I've heard it all from the haters. Fortunately I have people of all types that tell me regularly how much they love what I have done, thank me for being here, and even people that have moved here because of it. This is not the point.

The conversation is directed at what is happening to an expanse of the authentic fabric in the heart of the Village. The design represented is symptomatic of the banal mold that has seemed to grow over 'No Where America' and now it is encroaching the genuine place that we all care about and have poured ourselves in to. I have nothing against new design and development, but there are ways to do it. What Argosy has done is incredible but I don't even think half the expense is necessary to do it right. I'm also not convinced that this sterile newness will attract business but that remains to be seen.

What is clear is that part of our historic and genuine architecture will be blotted out and it will be replaced with "design" that is completely uninspired by someone who doesn't even understand basic design principles, let alone the context of the Village. The "brand-new" East Atlanta sign and absurd traffic circle should serve as a case-in-point.