Author Topic: Moreland/Glenwood alignment  (Read 6623 times)

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
Re: Moreland/Glenwood alignment
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 03:26 pm »
From Summer's link further up the page, there's a May 2015 pdf file with a description on page 2:

Description and Project Proposal: The proposed project, SR 260/Glenwood Avenue at US 23/SR
42/Moreland A venue will be realigned to the south in order to eliminate the approximate seventy foot
offset that currently exists as it crosses US 23/SR 42/Moreland Avenue and will accommodate a
twelve foot shared use lane for bicycle connectivity
. Glenwood Avenue will also be restriped to
accommodate a 10 foot left tum lane on the eastern (westbound movement) leg of the intersection and
will maintain the existing 30 mph design speed. The approximate length of the realignment is 750 feet.
This intersection is located within the City of Atlanta and DeKalb and Fulton Counties.

Offline georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:39 am
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 09:15 pm »
From the meeting tonight, there will be a dedicated left turn lane both westbound and eastbound on Glenwood, streetscape lighting ( that CofA promises will be turned on, unlike the Welcome To East Atlanta sign) and 12' wide "share lanes".

Offline Dale_K

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 02:55 am
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 10:12 am »
From the meeting tonight, there will be a dedicated left turn lane both westbound and eastbound on Glenwood, streetscape lighting ( that CofA promises will be turned on, unlike the Welcome To East Atlanta sign) and 12' wide "share lanes".

Also, it looks like the planners will see what they can do to make dedicated lanes - the requirement for a 12' left foot turn lane from Glenwood onto Moreland along with the other items in the layout means that we are about 2' shy of getting dedicated bike lanes. Meaning, an agreement to say, remove the boulevard (tree planting area, whatever the heck it's called in this part of the world...) for the last 100 ' or so leading up to the intersection could allow enough space for a dedicated lane.

With the construction not starting for another year, it seems there is still time to make some tweaks to the plan.
I lost my SS card, so I guess I will some day have to get another one. And, no its not 000-00-0001. - Denise

Offline MissMass

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 08:16 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 12:27 pm »
Shared use lanes suck. Too scary for me.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 01, 2018, 04:00 am
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 01:25 pm »
Last night after I made my first comment, I was told by one of the project guys to make sure I also wrote it down on a comment card. Apparently, the more people who give feedback to the project officials, not just on the Buzz saying they want bike lanes, the more likely bike lanes are to be added.

Feedback should be sent to:

Michael Frierson
Public Relations Manager, Department of Public Works Office of Transportation
mfrierson@atlantaga.gov
404-330-6254 (office)
404-710-9560 (cell)

or

Daniel Ephraim
Technical Project Manager, Department of Public Works
dephraim@atlantaga.gov
404-330-6922 (office)
678-878-7608 (cell)

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
    January 09, 2018, 11:30 pm
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 01:25 pm »
Wish I could have gone to the meeting. Was anything included in doing some work along Moreland heading south? I've been trying to walk to my office and that stretch on the west side of the street is WRECK.

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 01:26 pm »
Last night after I made my first comment, I was told by one of the project guys to make sure I also wrote it down on a comment card. Apparently, the more people who give feedback to the project officials, not just on the Buzz saying they want bike lanes, the more likely bike lanes are to be added.

Feedback should be sent to:

Michael Frierson
Public Relations Manager, Department of Public Works Office of Transportation
mfrierson@atlantaga.gov
404-330-6254 (office)
404-710-9560 (cell)

or

Daniel Ephraim
Technical Project Manager, Department of Public Works
dephraim@atlantaga.gov
404-330-6922 (office)
678-878-7608 (cell)
I'm going to spread the word on this one - my kids will be riding bikes to MJHS and that terrifies me.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31 pm »
Wish I could have gone to the meeting. Was anything included in doing some work along Moreland heading south? I've been trying to walk to my office and that stretch on the west side of the street is WRECK.

The map given out at the meeting shows the sidewalks being reconstructed as far south as the Spice salon (or about halfway across the Moreland frontage of First Iconium). Deacon Walker made a comment asking the sidewalk to be fixed all the way to Portland Avenue, and also mentioned that water drainage along Moreland needs to be improved.

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 02:04 pm »

The map given out at the meeting shows the sidewalks being reconstructed as far south as the Spice salon (or about halfway across the Moreland frontage of First Iconium). Deacon Walker made a comment asking the sidewalk to be fixed all the way to Portland Avenue, and also mentioned that water drainage along Moreland needs to be improved.

Places along Moreland have virtually NO sidewalk as it's all crumbled or washed away.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 02:20 pm »

Places along Moreland have virtually NO sidewalk as it's all crumbled or washed away.

The trouble is, other than the immediate vicinity of Glenwood, most of Moreland is outside the scope of the project.

If you need to go north/south on foot (or on a bike, for that matter) I recommend just using Brownwood or Woodland instead.

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 03:01 pm »

The trouble is, other than the immediate vicinity of Glenwood, most of Moreland is outside the scope of the project.

If you need to go north/south on foot (or on a bike, for that matter) I recommend just using Brownwood or Woodland instead.
Yeah, my office is on Moreland. I'm not going out of my way to get down Woodland and then back up Berne. Out of my office window I watch a parade of people take this exact route all day long because there's a Marta stop at the corner of Berne and Moreland. How about we just hold the city and state accountable for providing pedestrian access and safe sidewalks on a MAJOR thoroughfare?

Offline debbie

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    April 22, 2018, 10:20 pm
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 05:41 pm »

Yeah, my office is on Moreland. I'm not going out of my way to get down Woodland and then back up Berne. Out of my office window I watch a parade of people take this exact route all day long because there's a Marta stop at the corner of Berne and Moreland. How about we just hold the city and state accountable for providing pedestrian access and safe sidewalks on a MAJOR thoroughfare?
Didn't Marta fund the addition of the sidewalk on Flat Shoals?  Maybe Marta money could be used for Moreland as well?

Offline micki mouse

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:33 am
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 10:04 am »
When is construction supposed to begin?

Offline georgian

• Human
  • Sure, trust the govt...just ask a Native American!
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:39 am
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 11:02 am »
When is construction supposed to begin?
Projected to start construction Fall 2016. They are in the process of acquiring right-of-ways till then.

Offline Jack

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 02:28 pm »

Oh, Berne? You're talking about (relatively) way down Moreland. That's legitimately out of scope for the Glenwood intersection project.

Sure, it needs to be fixed, but they can't do everything at once...