Author Topic: Birmingham, Waterford, Lake Orion, and Detroit Michigan  (Read 1054 times)

Offline WhitNerd

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Your Insurance Advocate
  • Last Login:
    September 28, 2016, 09:46 pm
Birmingham, Waterford, Lake Orion, and Detroit Michigan
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:40 pm »
I'll be renting an amazing AirBNB house with my grandparents and cousin on the lake in Waterford. We'll be super close to Birmingham and it looks like a super cute town to explore and find foodie restaurants. We'll spend a day in Detroit. Any suggestions for restaurants or fun things to do? We'll be staying on a lake so we've already planned to canoe one day. We are driving up there on 75 so any suggestions for place to stop on the way? My grandmother is not elderly and very active, but my grandfather will probably end up staying at the house most of the time. I'll have my 2.5 year-old with us, but we have an awesome stroller so walking isn't an issue. My friend lives in New Baltimore so I might explore that area if it's worth it or maybe meet her in Rochester Hills.

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:53 pm
Re: Birmingham, Waterford, Lake Orion, and Detroit Michigan
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:20 pm »
As far as driving I-75, I would stop anywhere in Ohio and not bother with that state up north.
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline WhitNerd

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:38 pm »
I figured people might be negative about going to Detroit, but my cousin got an amazing engineering job there right out of college and we are all going to visit him for the first time. He's been there about 6 months and really loves it. I've never been to any of the states in that area and I love exploring new places. The area we are staying in is very quaint and is suppose to be a beautiful little town. I'm very excited about this little spur of the moment trip and getting to go somewhere I haven't been before.

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 06:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52 pm »
I was just speaking in honor of my late father, a huge Ohio State fan. I lived in Ohio for more than 20 years, but my family never vacationed in the state up north. We drove through it to get to Canada and once went to Detroit to see a Cleveland Indians game.

But I'm sure where you're staying will be beautiful.
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline Meredith

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 09, 2017, 09:33 am
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:35 am »
Michigan is one of the most beautiful states I've spent any time in. My brother lives in Ann Arbor and I've visited him up there a few times. I haven't spent much time in Detroit, but West and North of that you will find some lovely lakeside towns (looks like you already have). And the fruit is incredible - especially the cherries! Ann Arbor is a really great town for restaurants and shopping if you get a chance to go. I'll be anxious to hear about your experience in MI.
First rule: "If you haven't called someone your self or they have notified you then Do not trust them! They are dishonest and a scam!"- Denise

Offline Dale_K

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 02:10 am
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:47 am »
Second for Ann Arbor.

There is a wicked hot sauce store just outside of Ann Arbor, sadly I don't recall the name. If I can think of it I'll pass it on.
I lost my SS card, so I guess I will some day have to get another one. And, no its not 000-00-0001. - Denise

Offline WhitNerd

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:36 am »
Second for Ann Arbor.

There is a wicked hot sauce store just outside of Ann Arbor, sadly I don't recall the name. If I can think of it I'll pass it on.

My husband is obsessed with hot sauce and makes his own several times a year. We'll probably need to put this on our list of things to do  :)

Offline WhitNerd

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 12:42 am »
Ann Arbor sounds lovely and looks like it's an hour drive from where we are staying. Is worth a half day? Or maybe we could by for lunch or breakfast on the drive home.

Offline Meredith

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    December 09, 2017, 09:33 am
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 10:04 am »
Ann Arbor sounds lovely and looks like it's an hour drive from where we are staying. Is worth a half day? Or maybe we could by for lunch or breakfast on the drive home.
Yeah - it's a nice college town - lots of shops and restaurants. You might want to check out this place, Zingerman's, for breakfast or lunch. Excellent sandwiches and it's kind of an institution.

http://www.zingermansdeli.com/

First rule: "If you haven't called someone your self or they have notified you then Do not trust them! They are dishonest and a scam!"- Denise