Author Topic: The dragon is gone  (Read 6349 times)

Offline hfranks

• tosspot
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    May 17, 2018, 07:40 pm
Re: The dragon is gone
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 05:54 pm »
Yeah, I wish we'd had a chance to set up a GoFundMe or something (again) to try and buy him for the 'hood before just spiriting him off in the middle of the night.

^^ This.

We did.  It was years ago, when the dragon was still in the park.  I may have been the only person who donated. 
Explosive force does not vector that way, and never will be able to, even with crazy secret-squirrel .gov black ops alien technology. ~ ES

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:59 am
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 06:17 pm »
The artist wanted him back.  That is why he left East Atlanta.  Loved that we were able to have him for so many years in our neighborhood

Yeah, not really.
Artist would've been perfectly fine with it staying where it was (had he been made whole on the deal).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:00 pm by angryuser »
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:59 am
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 06:18 pm »
Yeah, I wish we'd had a chance to set up a GoFundMe or something (again) to try and buy him for the 'hood before just spiriting him off in the middle of the night.

^^ This.

We did.  It was years ago, when the dragon was still in the park.  I may have been the only person who donated.

There were several. And yes, bless you, you were one of the very few who did.

The whole thing was pretty damn pathetic for how much people went on about how awesome it was and how its likeness was in turn used to represent so many other neighborhood things.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 07:04 pm »
For the record: The dragon was a she.

Offline coffee achiever

• Administrator
  • Human
  • yes.
  • Last Login:
    January 12, 2018, 02:18 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 09:13 pm »
For the record: The dragon was a she.

Duly noted. :)

And I think that donations might have increased dramatically had the community known that he would be removed this week.
We're here for good time, not for a long time. - Fawkes

Offline Beer Snob

• EVA's official bad spellor
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • beer, the oldest of the inebriators.
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
    May 16, 2018, 05:31 pm
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 10:09 am »

^^ This.

There were several. And yes, bless you, you were one of the very few who did.

The whole thing was pretty damn pathetic for how much people went on about how awesome it was and how its likeness was in turn used to represent so many other neighborhood things.

And that kind of parallels our volunteer needs for the events people love so much in the hood.  It is like pulling teeth to get folks to volunteer for something that does not include drinking free beer.

I think we all love our hood, but when it comes to putting some actual skin in the game, either it be in donating money or time, there is only a small group that is willing to commit to that degree.

Taters

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
    August 18, 2017, 10:21 pm
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 10:30 am »
I missed the call for donations being needed. I would have supported it.

I remember a call for volunteers to help move the dragon a couple years back. I know I went out, and a lot of others did too. I think people will come out in support if they know it matters.

Of course I think somebody brought beer to that too.

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 06:13 pm
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 11:29 am »
I missed the call for donations being needed. I would have supported it.

I remember a call for volunteers to help move the dragon a couple years back. I know I went out, and a lot of others did too. I think people will come out in support if they know it matters.

Of course I think somebody brought beer to that too.
My impression was the fundraising campaign was not very organized or publicized. I donated at the moving party and I think one other time and then never heard more about it. I'm not sure the artist ever set a price or anyone ever decided whose liability the sculpture would be. Both those things would have been necessary for a real fundraising campaign.
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline denise

• Human
  • Last Login:
    January 16, 2018, 11:51 am
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2015, 01:13 pm »
Our dragon is gone! That's sad! I want him back for he seemed like EAVS landmark.

Offline ratpack

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 08, 2018, 01:00 pm
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 03:47 pm »
I feel like I'm pretty tuned in to the comings and goings of n'hood things and don't recall ever hearing about the campaign. It was also several years ago and sounded like it was run while the dragon was still located in brownwood and/or just being moved to its new location.

Over those years since the relocation to Argosy, I would say it has become much more prominent in neighborhood iconography and people's connection to its importance to EAV. For example the Strut logo uses it now, but that just started within last year or year before, likely after the campaign. Being tucked away in brownwood was out of sight out of mind for many and probably why folks didn't give a damn about donating and it was hard to drum up support, if they were one of the few to even be aware of the campaign. Now that it is more embedded into the current EAV culture, thanks to its new location prominence, then personal feelings have likely changed toward a campaign to save it (certainly seems that way on this thread and the other recent one talking about the rumor of her going away). So don't just call people pathetic for never donating to something years ago, who likely never heard of the campaign, and before most folks really gave a shit about the dragon to begin with.

Mrice is correct in that if several important very serious things weren't clearly established beyond just raising money to give to an artist, it would play a significant role in its failure. A few key pieces of info would be regard to ownership/responsibility and location. it seems the latter was covered at least temporarily with the concrete slab next to argosy, but what happens when argosy decides to use that area for another purpose? Who would own responsibility for the dragon to be moved and where?

Was the artist's midnight move of the dragon to create motivation for a campaign to save it or is it permanently moved to a new home never to have the potential to return?

If a campaign could be run to save it, I would suggest the following key pieces be contractually secured before fundraising begins (plenty of local attorneys to help pro-bono draft the necessary documents):

1) Ownership - EACA or Argosy seem like the obvious. If the latter, then Argosy needs to own the burden of paying for it possibly with help from the community at large (matching donation for example). EACA being the most likely sustainable owner.
2 A) If EACA were to own it, then a spot needs to be secured long term. Argosy would be the likely place again, but an agreement should be struck that Argosy contractually provides a home for a certain period of time and can, with due notice, ask EACA to remove it. That should be done at Argosy's expense seeing as how they get the fun benefit of the dragon being next to their establishment, especially if they did not contribute to the campaign to save it. EACA would be responsible for finding a new suitable home for it, being the owners.
2 B) If Argosy were to own it, and community funds were raised to secure it from the artist, then they should agree contractually to keep the dragon in its current location for a certain minimum period of time. They would of course own it and whether or not making them sell/donate it to EACA after a certain time has lapsed or they need the space for something else, is a major point that needs to be addressed in this scenario. As owners, they could sell it away at any time unless something is put in place to prevent it. I know I would be cautious to donate money to a campaign to give a large piece of art to a private business who could simply turn around and sell it to someone else keeping all of the proceeds. Unless Argosy really loves the dragon and wants to pay to keep it (which i guess wasn't the case as I'm sure the artist approached them to purchase), then this is probably not a great option and EACA should have ownership.

Beyond just a fundraising page, some small events should be done to raise additional monies for the campaign. Relying on a website alone without getting out there and hosting some small events at local spots just won't get you there, especially with the money the artist was asking. If BeerFest is still taking grant requests, then that could be a route as well for at least some of the funds to help kickstart the campaign.

Securing the contractual elements and planning those events takes time, energy, and a lot of effort on the backs of the one or few who would step up to take on this task. There and there alone is where the rubber meets the road.
Yoiks! And away! Yoiks... and awa-ayy! Yo-iks... and away...

Offline ratpack

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 08, 2018, 01:00 pm
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 03:52 pm »
that was kinda serious and out of character...so here's a dragon gif.

Now back to Chazz.  O0
Yoiks! And away! Yoiks... and awa-ayy! Yo-iks... and away...

Offline rudie54

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 17, 2018, 04:43 pm
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 04:06 pm »
I also vaguely remember something about saving the dragon when it was in Brownwood park, but I thought that had been resolved by the move to the Argosy property.

If there were any efforts to raise funds to keep it since then, I sure wasn't aware of them, and I'm on the buzz pretty frequently.

Offline Paulie [eatl/ga]

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take it!
    • Inside The Perimeter
  • Last Login:
    December 21, 2016, 10:46 pm
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 05:01 pm »
You know this is a monumental topic if I've returned to The Buzz to find out WTF happened to the dragon.
I write a kick-ass blog about my so-called boring life at www.InsideThePerimeter.com

Offline MissMass

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 08:16 pm
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 05:29 pm »
And what has to happen to get it back.

Offline Nate (NFN)

• Ha!
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • I am user number 69 on the Buzz.
    • Just my pictures
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 10:08 am
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2015, 07:43 pm »
It isn't coming back. If we wanted a mascot we should've paid for a mascot. Rather than let an artist put one up in a random spot in the village. It's time to MoveOn.