Author Topic: The dragon is gone  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Brandy

• Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 12:13 pm
Re: The dragon is gone
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2015, 08:18 pm »
Mrice is correct in that if several important very serious things weren't clearly established beyond just raising money to give to an artist, it would play a significant role in its failure. A few key pieces of info would be regard to ownership/responsibility and location. it seems the latter was covered at least temporarily with the concrete slab next to argosy, but what happens when argosy decides to use that area for another purpose? Who would own responsibility for the dragon to be moved and where?

Was the artist's midnight move of the dragon to create motivation for a campaign to save it or is it permanently moved to a new home never to have the potential to return?

If a campaign could be run to save it, I would suggest the following key pieces be contractually secured before fundraising begins (plenty of local attorneys to help pro-bono draft the necessary documents):

1) Ownership - EACA or Argosy seem like the obvious. If the latter, then Argosy needs to own the burden of paying for it possibly with help from the community at large (matching donation for example). EACA being the most likely sustainable owner.
2 A) If EACA were to own it, then a spot needs to be secured long term. Argosy would be the likely place again, but an agreement should be struck that Argosy contractually provides a home for a certain period of time and can, with due notice, ask EACA to remove it. That should be done at Argosy's expense seeing as how they get the fun benefit of the dragon being next to their establishment, especially if they did not contribute to the campaign to save it. EACA would be responsible for finding a new suitable home for it, being the owners.
2 B) If Argosy were to own it, and community funds were raised to secure it from the artist, then they should agree contractually to keep the dragon in its current location for a certain minimum period of time. They would of course own it and whether or not making them sell/donate it to EACA after a certain time has lapsed or they need the space for something else, is a major point that needs to be addressed in this scenario. As owners, they could sell it away at any time unless something is put in place to prevent it. I know I would be cautious to donate money to a campaign to give a large piece of art to a private business who could simply turn around and sell it to someone else keeping all of the proceeds. Unless Argosy really loves the dragon and wants to pay to keep it (which i guess wasn't the case as I'm sure the artist approached them to purchase), then this is probably not a great option and EACA should have ownership.

Beyond just a fundraising page, some small events should be done to raise additional monies for the campaign. Relying on a website alone without getting out there and hosting some small events at local spots just won't get you there, especially with the money the artist was asking. If BeerFest is still taking grant requests, then that could be a route as well for at least some of the funds to help kickstart the campaign.

Securing the contractual elements and planning those events takes time, energy, and a lot of effort on the backs of the one or few who would step up to take on this task. There and there alone is where the rubber meets the road.

As someone who was present at EACA-related discussions of the dragon, I can share what I know:
  • The artist never provided a concrete number related to purchase price, despite repeated requests for this information.  I can say that the various  inconsistent numbers provided reached above 10K
  • The budget for EACA would not be able to purchase it
  • The discussion about realistically purchasing Sangbu also needed to include liability and maintenance.  The intricacies of a neighborhood non-profit owning a multiple-thousand dollar piece of art and then housing it on private property would open EACA up to a lot of issues that the organization simply cannot attend to (especially with already-limited volunteer power and financial means).  Also, it's made of metal, which means it will continue to rust and need maintenance, the cost of which we couldn't accurately quantify. 

I appreciate Sangbu and her ability to bring the neighborhood together--it's my understanding that last year's Strut and the adoption of the dragon logo was to raise funds to keep her here (unfortunately, Strut 2014 did not make money to reach that goal).  I agree with Nate that it's time to move on; however, perhaps we can move on with the intention of planning a piece of art for the village rather than trying to incorporate/keep Sangbu.  I think ratpack's feedback provides a good start regarding planning if someone wants to start a committee or spearhead such a project.

Offline craig

• Human
  • Last Login:
    February 07, 2018, 04:43 pm
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 12:05 pm »
So now we've got, what, that bust with three eyes in the old telephone kiosk?

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    October 31, 2017, 02:57 pm
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10 pm »

So, where is it? Is it parked out back of someone's house?
Putting wheels on it and taking it to Burning Man? (which would be cool, btw).
Is it on display somewhere?
"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline Cap'n Ken

• Buzz Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 04, 2017, 07:18 am
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 12:13 pm »
So how hard would it be to just make another dragon? I hear the old burglar bar place is empty again; it's a perfect place to do some welding.
<sig>

Offline craig

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 12:18 pm »
Put one of those beefy arms back on him for good measure...

Offline ratpack

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    January 08, 2018, 01:00 pm
Yoiks! And away! Yoiks... and awa-ayy! Yo-iks... and away...

Offline Fawkes

• hateful aging boundary challenged hipster wanna-be pseudo intellectual EAV POS from WV
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 12:25 pm »
So how hard would it be to just make another dragon? I hear the old burglar bar place is empty again; it's a perfect place to do some welding.

A Dragon as designed by any EAV committee:

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upward mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely... " - Hunter S Thompson

Offline craig

• Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 12:28 pm »
I'd be surprised if we came up with one of the masterpieces of Western art, but you never know...

Offline MRice

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 06:13 pm
"Shrimp are too eager to leave the sandwich."

Offline Bagel Snob

• OMG
  • Administrator
  • Human
  • Monkey ass ho
  • Last Login:
    January 30, 2018, 12:38 pm
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 01:20 pm »
Our new slogan can be "EAV: Where everyone is chasing the dragon."

Err....

"I've got the boobs. I don't like them."

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 01:23 pm »
Put one of those beefy arms back on him for good measure...

To begin, draw an 'S'...for Sangbu

Offline barbecuesteve

• a well-informed, well-armed bear.
  • Human
  • Support your local cue & brew
  • Last Login:
    Today at 04:14 am
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 05:15 pm »

Better than the taggers...

Next time you drink a homebrew, thank Jimmy Carter, who on October 14, 1978 signed H.R.1337 legalizing homebrewing in the United States.

Offline coffee achiever

• Administrator
  • Human
  • yes.
  • Last Login:
    January 12, 2018, 02:18 pm
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 08:53 pm »

Just keep the noise down.
We're here for good time, not for a long time. - Fawkes

Offline jsvh

• Human
  • Last Login:
    August 18, 2017, 10:21 pm
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 10:05 pm »

Better than the taggers...

We could replace Sangbu with Trogdor.

Offline Fawkes

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2015, 08:12 am »

Just keep the noise down.

Damn right.   :diaf:
I would love to see a Trogdor sculpture.