Author Topic: The dragon is gone  (Read 6348 times)

Offline barbecuesteve

• a well-informed, well-armed bear.
  • Human
  • Support your local cue & brew
  • Last Login:
    Today at 04:14 am
Re: The dragon is gone
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2015, 08:40 am »
A Trogdor that says "You look nice today!" And on the back it says "And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiight!"

Next time you drink a homebrew, thank Jimmy Carter, who on October 14, 1978 signed H.R.1337 legalizing homebrewing in the United States.

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:59 am
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2015, 09:50 am »
Put one of those beefy arms back on him for good measure...

To begin, draw an 'S'...for Sangbu

craig and grouchy,
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    November 17, 2017, 03:38 pm
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53 am »

As someone who was present at EACA-related discussions of the dragon, I can share what I know:
  • The artist never provided a concrete number related to purchase price, despite repeated requests for this information.  I can say that the various  inconsistent numbers provided reached above 10K

Saying there was no concrete number may be factually accurate, but it is misleading. The price was always the same - a range of 12-15k, dependent upon how long it took to pay for her and transfer liability/ownership.

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2015, 02:23 pm »
I've been given a statement from the artist to clear up any further questions. His contact info is at the bottom, for anyone wishing to discuss it further.

Village People,
I moved Sangbu the “Dragon of Compassion” on Nov 12th between 8­10am with a group of friends.
She was installed in Brownwood park as the centerpiece of the 2012 “Druganacht” and the 2013 “The Deep” fundraising performances for the EACA.
We hoped for a purchase by the City, but that was declined due to materials and construction. I drafted a proposal for EACA specifying a 15,000 purchase price including maintenance and contingency for vandalism equalling up to 10% of the purchase price. Amid great fanfare she was moved to Argosy in 2013. I received a 10% deposit which held her there for 2 1⁄2 years and funded maintenance and refurbishment,but as two Strut Parades came and went without any progress towards payment or transfer of ownership I decided that she needed to move on. I informed my contact at the EACA about the pending relocation and then of the de­install date as well as management at Argosy.
She is currently back at my shop getting spruced up, rigged for flame effects and made more mobile. We will be making a big showing at Incendia “Fire in the Sky” on New Year’s Eve. Future movements will be geared towards short term installation and dynamic flame effects and performances.
We have really loved being a symbol and mascot for the East Atlanta Village and I wish things could have been made permanent but I don’t think that would be possible with the piece being what it is. I remain open to proposals for new work or further permutations of the Dragon and would be very flexible on terms if given the chance to provide a mascot for one of my favorite neighborhoods.
Sangbu thanks you for all the love and support and I am thankful for all the help and hard work that has kept her alive.
Ryan Mathern
rm@RyanMathern.com

Offline Shamamama

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
    • Michelle Newcome
  • Last Login:
    January 09, 2018, 11:30 pm
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 07:34 pm »
Great statement from the artist. I appreciate everyone weighing in. Like many of you I actually did think something permanent had been figured out since she's been there for a long time. (two years is a long time for anything in the village).

I don't think the campaign to fund her purchase beyond the initial call was well publicized at all. I would have donated. I think many people would. (and honestly, Argosy should have bought her. That's chump change for them).

It seems like the artist is open to a new effort to create a dragon that will be better suited to the long-term requirements of space and maintenance. Is there going to be any efforts to put this together?

(and no, I'm not volunteering. I saved a high school and I'm going to coast on that for a few more years. But I will cheerlead and spread the word and donate)

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 01:31 pm »
Quite by accident, I ran across Sangbu today.  He's taken up residence in Durham Park in Smyrna (I work not far away). 

Offline pencilicon

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • It was like that when I got here.
  • Last Login:
    May 07, 2018, 03:28 pm
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 04:18 pm »
She looks great!!!
Or he or them.
IDK. Anyway. Thanks!!

Offline Beer Snob

• EVA's official bad spellor
  • EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • beer, the oldest of the inebriators.
    • My TV show
  • Last Login:
    May 16, 2018, 05:31 pm
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 08:41 pm »
looks like she got some new duds too
Taters

Offline andrew

• Human
  • Last Login:
    May 18, 2018, 04:15 pm
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21 am »
Whoa! Who's that snake in the background?

Offline J. Grouchy

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 07:01 pm
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 08:55 am »
Whoa! Who's that snake in the background?

There's no name that I saw, but it's kinda cool.  They have the two facing off...

Offline angryuser

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
    Yesterday at 11:59 am
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48 am »
Not sure the snake is named. Robert Harrison made it. Much as Sang Bu can shoot fire out of the mouth, the snake can as well. It is also basically a spring, so the recoil moves it up and down. Which is awesome to watch, and great fun when Robert presses the fire button when unsuspecting people are next to it. heh

*edited to fix name
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:17 am by angryuser »
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity but they've always worked for me.

Offline lore

• EAV Insiders
  • Human
  • Last Login:
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 12:39 pm »
Not sure the snake is named. Robert Harris made it. Much as Sang Bu can shoot fire out of the mouth, the snake can as well. It is also basically a spring, so the recoil moves it up and down. Which is awesome to watch, and great fun when Robert presses the fire button when unsuspecting people are next to it. heh

Robert Harrison...

If y'all like cool fire toys and generally awesome architecture, check out Robert's house:
http://www.oldsmyrnafirehouse.com